i have some scales/solos/improvising questions:

1. how do you know what scale to use when soloing?

2. what are some good backing tracks to practice to and what scales go with them?

3. how often is the major scale used in solos?

4. how do you know when to use modes in solos?
1. The penatonic scale that is the same note as your first note/chord. Like if the song starts with a G, use the G penatonic scale. Well, that's what i do anyway.

3. Depends. Is it a happy song? Major=Happy. Minor=Sad
Quote by triple_X_maniac
AMERICA FTW!!!

lol jk we suck

<A HREF=

<A HREF=
1. Use the scale whose notes resolve quickly to the chord tones of the rhythm/backing track...check the lessons on the site

2. simple blues progressions like G5-G6...minor pentatonic would be the way to go...good starting point for any aspiring soloist

3. a LOT

4. same concept as question one, although the modes of a major scale resolve to another note of the scale, thus giving a different sound...preference, again check the lessons out

yes, not a great explanation, but i gotta get outta here
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
1. Use the scale that corresponds to the key of the chord progression(e.g. C-G-Am-Em is in the key of C)

4. There are 7 modes per key. All of those modes have the exact same notes as their home key, but start in different places. The ionian mode is the same as the corresponding major scale(e.g. CDEFGABC is ionian, and also the C major scale). Sometimes songs hover around "home" pitches that are not the tonic of the key that is being played in, and when this happens, a song will end on that given pitch. If you were in the key of C, and the G note seemed to be the tonal center, you would be in the G mixolydian mode.

Modes:
Ionian(starts on C in the key of C)
Dorian(starts on D in the key of C)
Phrygian(starts on E in the key of C)
Lydian(F etc.)
Mixolydian(G etc.)
Aeolian(A etc.)
Locrian(B etc.)
so if you play in a mode, does this mean that you start of with a note different from the root note? say if you were playing a pattern of the c major scale, and instead didn't start off with a c note.
Quote by skybl4ck
so if you play in a mode, does this mean that you start of with a note different from the root note? say if you were playing a pattern of the c major scale, and instead didn't start off with a c note.
Yes. That is what a mode is.
So to learn modes you just get them engraved into your brain? Im gonna start this once Im done working to open up my musical vocabulary.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by The Master Plan
So to learn modes you just get them engraved into your brain? Im gonna start this once Im done working to open up my musical vocabulary.

hey man, if you ever need some help with modes, just pm me and ill help you out a bunch. (unless you already know them) peace.