Not sure if this is the right forum, but i'm looking for a microphone that i can use to record vocals and for performing live. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I'm going to be recording through a multi-tracker (Korg d3200) and don't want the mic to be really expensive; up to 200 dollars and a bit more if it's worth it.
Last edited by IaGcT at Jun 26, 2006,
i use sure sm-58's they work great live and just fine recording especilly if you eq it right
I thought they recommended SM57
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Yea SM57 will do the trick, but to get a great tone you'll want a condenser and a dynamic. Dynamics (like the SM57, 58 etc.) tend to sound grainy when you mic a speaker. Where as condensers have an "open" and more transparent sound. To get the best possible you'll want one of each, with the dynamic up right next to the speaker, and the condenser more than 5 or so inches back, in the general "area" of the cab/speakers.

The SM57 runs about $90, and MXL makes great budget condensers for anywhere from $50-300. Although if you're just going for something simple a 57 is probably the easiest thing.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
JimiMan, I'm actually looking for a microphone that i can use for recording and performing vocals. But thanks for your input - it'll help me if i do get around to micing up my amps.
Yea sorry about that. Yea definately go with the SM57. I use them for vocals at band practice and then record anything with them. Guitar amps, drums, tympanies, marimba, vocals ... w/e it does the job lol. You could use a 58 too but the frequency response is tailored more toward vocals, where the 57 has a wider range for pretty much... everything.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
Go with a SM57 for instruments(great for guitar recording) and maybe a cheap condenser for vocals? Or maybe just an SM58 for vocals?

I LOVED my SM57 when I had it. It does everything, including vocals, really well.