I was wondering what the difference is between pickups. Such as a double coil verses a single coil, or a classic humbucker style. I've heard double coils are good for heavy metal, and humbuckers always seem to be described as having a "warm" sound. My goal is to get a Gibson Les Paul. I'd like to outfit it in such a way as to be able to play some heavy metal songs, as well as some more mellow ones. So what would be my best choice in pickups in order to have that sort of range? Or am I better off just buying seperate guitars for each sound? Thanx for the advice, unless you don't give me any, in which case I owe you NOTHING!

~Lemons
Double Single Coil?

I think you mean humbuckers, in which this case are good for metal because of the thick tone and low-noise. Single coils give off a "twangy" soung and give really good clean sounds, they also give off a lot of noise when distorted. It's all on personal prefrence, but I see you like Pink Floyd, Gilmour uses a lot of cleans in his music and uses singles most of the time, but my advice to you is to try out different guitars and amps and see which ones you like better.

Edit- I re-read your post and I reccomend a Standard Fat Strat, it give good cleans and has a humbucker for harder-styles of music.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516039
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Last edited by edwardthegreat5 at Jun 27, 2006,
isnt a double coil a humbucker?
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
Quote by namman05
isnt a double coil a humbucker?

Yes, but he didn't know they were the same thing.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Thanks to you Edwardthegreat5! Okay... so if a double coil and a humbucker are the same thing, what do you call the kind of pickup that's on say a classic Les Paul?
Humbuckers, just open coil. So the term would be, "Open Coil Humbucker" and pups like the one seen on a LP Standard would be, "Covered Humbucker", but just call them humbuckers.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky