Ive been playing guitar consistently for probably about a year now, although I only began taking lessons a couple of weeks ago. Up until now Ive been absolutely addicted to it and my obsession with guitar, theory, and music in general has only grown. I'm not very good, although that's never bothered me before now, because Ive always practiced and gotten that much better. Lately Ive hit some kind of a roadblock or something, though, because for some reason Im completely dissatisfied with my "skill" and dont feel like Im going anywhere at all with it, to the point where every time I sit down and try to play the guitar I get frustrated with myself.

Has anyone else felt this? Is it just a phase that Ill grow out of, or something else?
definately it happens to every1, it happens to me every once in a while, i just stop for a day or 2, then im back to normal
Oh yea

happens to the best of guitarist

i've been playing for bout 3 years and i still have them days
Quote by Metal-X
But last time I cranked my amp up. A small bird flew by at the same time I did a pinch harmonic.... and it exploded....

Too Late
When im in a bad mood I normally don't play guitar because it affects how I play. But good mood and guitar = good stuff. Another thing is that when you have the bad days just set it down for a few days and start playing again because you will miss it.
put down the guitar hang with friends, and dont throw it and save money for a new one, that really sux
Been playing for 5 months and have a tutor every week, getting there but have my brain drain days where I am lost or cannot be bothered, but its all comes back!
Try watching a movie of someone playing and get inspired. I watched a short vid of Satriani at a guitar clinic talking about Mode theory, and I sat down and started improvising and I was surprised at how many cool licks I derived.
Quote by Shut up, David
Ive been playing guitar consistently for probably about a year now, although I only began taking lessons a couple of weeks ago. Up until now Ive been absolutely addicted to it and my obsession with guitar, theory, and music in general has only grown. I'm not very good, although that's never bothered me before now, because Ive always practiced and gotten that much better. Lately Ive hit some kind of a roadblock or something, though, because for some reason Im completely dissatisfied with my "skill" and dont feel like Im going anywhere at all with it, to the point where every time I sit down and try to play the guitar I get frustrated with myself.

Has anyone else felt this? Is it just a phase that Ill grow out of, or something else?

It happens. It might be in your case that you have neglected working on your
technique. You've been able to make OK progress up to now with whatever
hapharzard approach you've tried, but when it comes to leanring the more
demanding things, you won't be able to play them unless you fix your technique.

Also, you have to constantly challenge yourself and learn new things. That will
never end. If you ain't growin, you're dyin.
Try listening to some solo work from Pink Floyd...always inspires me to be a better guitarist! Pick a song you're dying to learn to play, then try out some of it. If I'm in a funk, I always find playing a new song and realizing I'm getting it (even if just a little bit) brings me back to loving guitar, and I'l stum around for a couple hours...
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
Try playing for a friend. I did it when I felt like I was getting nowhere, and they were all like "Omg! You've gotten so good!!!" That made me feel a lot better - it made me realise that I had made progress; I just hadn't noticed it myself.
As you're taking lessons, perhaps ask your teacher to set you a few more challenging songs to learn. Then you can really stretch yourself, and you'll feel like you've really acheived something when you can play them.
Sometimes it's because u can't think clearly. Try learning a differnt scale or mode and come up with melody of some sort. Or come up with a melody inside you head, sing it out, then find what key it's in, and go from there to make ur own melody. Simple or difficult, it's yours and you proably won't be as frustrated. Oh yea, take things slow. I've been playing for about 4 years and still having trouble taking things slowly. Learn it now, and you just might thank me later.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
Just put the guitar down for a couple of days and do some other stuff. Don't force yourself to pick it up again, just wait for the moment when you feel you want to play again. When I'm fed up with guitar I just don't play for a little while until I get the urdge to play again.
Remember, not evenone is set out to be a guitarist, alot of it is natural ability.. Maybe you should look into another instrument?

i've been playing for 4 years, never EVER feel like im not going anywhere with it, or that playing is pointless
Sometimes when it feels like you've hit a wall, you're on the verge of a break through. But, you can't force it. If you playing is stale on a particular day, just do some basic scales and chord progressions for a little bit and then wait for tomorrow.