i always find that playing sitting down is a little bit easier than standing up, my fretting hand is always more comfortable. Do any of your guys's reach get hindered when u stand up? cuz mine does by a couple frets. how do i change my hand position to fix that?
Your strap is prolly to low. i have my guitar a little lower then waist and its the most comfortable for me but it does hinder my hitting the 24th on the low e a little bit. but the reason it happens is the position of the guitar changes from sitting to standing.
I think it's just generally harder to play standing up.
Unless your strap puts your guitar in the exact same height it would be while you're sitting down or something.

There's also the "it's varies from people to people" argument.
Currently Playing:
1986 H-H Contemporary Fender Telecaster
Backup:
Ibanez Ex Series
Customized SSS Starter Stratocaster
I was reading somewere that if you practice sitting down, but in the classical style (guitar resting on left leg, which is slightly elevated) then when you play standing up, it's heaps easier... just experiment with what works best for you though.
keeping the neck at like a 45 degree angle when standing helps... basically horizontal is no good, and if you feel uncomfortable, try lifting the neck some more. and of course don't play with the strap too low. if it's a bit lower than it would be seated it probably won't screw you up, but don't be a hero. besides, have you ever seen anyone who plays with a super low strap do anything more than power chords? it's not a very serious playing posture.
Quote by the snow queen
I was reading somewere that if you practice sitting down, but in the classical style (guitar resting on left leg, which is slightly elevated) then when you play standing up, it's heaps easier... just experiment with what works best for you though.

i must be doing classical style wrong, it feels like the guitar is too close to my left arm and i have to hold my arm back... of course it probably doesn't help to play sitting on a soft cushy couch without a left foot stool and have a shallow-bodied guitar...
I have always had a little more difficulty reaching all the areas I usually pla while standing up. I personally believe its something you have to get used to. Im a metal rhythm player so I play really fast and all over the place. It can be difficult but practice makes perfect.
"The tragic partake of this torment, convincing myself again. This god that I worship, this demon I blame, conspire as one exactly the same it's exactly the same." Lamb of God
im more comfortable sitting down.....everytime i try playing standing up my right shoulder would hurt because of the weight of the guitar ....
how come most of you say you hate plastics but when i tell you the bold truth you still get hurt and hate me for it?? what should i do then??
if u play in a band then u should practice standing up so it will get more comfortable and that way when u are on stage u will be better off.
yeah dude its harder standing up but u can kindof get used to it. i like to play my guitar low which, when i started made it impossible to solo. But now im fine... i stil cant hit my 24th fret on my low e, but why would i want to?
If you're having trouble playing when you're standing up, I've got a simple solution.

First, switching to classical position while sitting does indeed help, because the guitar is closer to the position it would be when you're standing up anyway.

But anyway, what you want to do is get in your normal sitting position, and tighten your strap until it's actually tight on you in a sitting position. Stand up and play like that, it shouldn't be much more difficult than normal sitting (you'll look silly of course, but at this point that doesn't matter). Now, just play like that until you're used to it and comfortable.

Now, once you've gotten used to playing and standing with the guitar that high up, each day or second day you'll want to loosen your strap by maybe half an inch to an inch. Just keep repeating until your guitar is where you want it to be.

The idea is the change is so gradual you won't actually notice it, and your hands will just adapt to the extra stretching needed to play with the guitar lower down.