I wanna' learn guitar,so i figured i get this set-up....tell me what you think....
1.Squire Affinity strat
2.Fender G-DEC
They would be quite good for a beginner, what's your price range?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Strats are great, but for that price range you might want to think about something else. Ibanez guitars around $150-200 are solid and sound nice

the amp is good
Squiers aren't very decent guitars.. If you are intending on playing it for a while I would go with the other guys suggestion of the Ibanez.. they are pretty decent in price and play very well. My Squier fell apart after a while. I imagine if you are a beginner you are going to be playing it quite often you might want to go with the Ibanez. Better bang for the buck. Ibanez > Squier. I think it'll be better in the end anyways.
I've always found that the best beginner guitar is the Yamaha Pacifica. They're dirt cheap and play better than a Squire. For an amp I'd get an Epiphone Valve Junior great little amp I wish I had one of these to start on. This set up should be well below $600 and keep you happy for a year or two (depending on how much you play).
My gear:

Gibson Gothic Flying V
Engl Screamer Combo
Maxon OD-9
Squier 10w amp
The gd is a good choice, i wish i had had one of those. You can get a used MIM strat, for about 250-300 USD. So that would work, infinitely better than a squire (if you get a good one)
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
For a cheap guitar, I'd look around for used, preferably something that's cosmetically ****ed but has a good neck. Whatever you get is going to be better than some $150-200 Stratocrapper.
Hi, I'm Peter
Get a better amp. Don't get the G-DEC just because of practice features. Get something that sounds better.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
Consider something like the Dean Evo, which you can find for around $100. Solid guitar.

Amp? Cube 30 or Vox AD30VT. Both very good starter amps.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
for around that price range you could get any of the lower Agiles - www.rondomusic.net

the amp is good but squier strats tend to get temperamental after a short period of time, i.e. getting out of tune quickly, connections to the pickups breaking, rattling bridges. Nothing that won't happen to any guitar over a long time, just sped up a bit
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
I agree with Mudder. The Dean would be a good choice. I absolutely love the feel of mine. The tuners are a little unstable and pups aren't amazing but for the price, you could eaisily afford upgrades down the line.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
how about a fender mexican strat or fat strat with a roland micro cube?
fender strat= $360
micro cube= $125
total=$485+tax if you don't order online

btw, the affinity strats are fine with an ok amp, just nothing special, and the G-DEC is supposed to be amazing...
yeh, true recommend him a seymour duncan invader aswell. and little off topic but apparently the invader can sound great.......when used with the right woods
Yeah, miracle wood. Unfortunately, it's only grown in a grove tended to by God himself.

Danno - a Squier might be a little too over-the-top for a first punk rock guitar. What about a First Act?
Hi, I'm Peter
^Maybe. I was just thinking,

Quote by www.squierguitars.com
The beautiful, Ice Blue Metallic Bullet Special guitar was designed as a ?no nonsense? guitar that delivers the look and tone you need to get noticed. Sporting one hot humbucking pickup, chrome hardware, one volume knob and a black pickguard ? this Bullet will separate you from the pack. It also features a bolt-on maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard, 21 medium frets and a hard-tail bridge.

IT WILL SEPARATE YOU FROM THE PACK, MAN!! WITH NO NONSENSE!
Quote by Tubey
I've always found that the best beginner guitar is the Yamaha Pacifica. They're dirt cheap and play better than a Squire.

I've got one and it's done we well for the past two years. It has a humbucker and is cheaper than the Squier which gives you more money for a better amp.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Get something a little bit better than a squier... MIM Strat?

As for the amp, I have one and it's fine for practise... on certain presets it can sound digital, but on others it sounds good enough for a practise amp.
Quote by Stevo12312
Get something a little bit better than a squier... MIM Strat?

As for the amp, I have one and it's fine for practise... on certain presets it can sound digital, but on others it sounds good enough for a practise amp.

if its going to be a beginner maybe a mim strat is too far how bout sx guitars i had one as my first electric thing still works great with elixirs and set up