Page 1 of 3
Hey there guys, well i started my summer vacation off school on friday and so i figured maybe its time i got round to doing my strat project - that i was going to start last year but never got round to it !!!

So heres the deal - its a Behringer Black Stratocaster copy type thing the neck is an awsome birdseye maple fretboard the grain is uber sexy and the neck back is a maple with good grain and a satin finish.

The body is in perfect condition and i am in the process of removing the finish - the top is done going to do the back today.

Everything is going to be changed the only parts i am using are the neck and body

I am looking for ideas for a nice paint job and i could do with some help with the painting as this is my first project. So guys, any ideas for a paintjob ? i was thinking black with Red EVH stripe pattern.

peace

oli
go for something original, rather than copying. that way if you go off the artist at least youll still like the guitar. Can i suggest polka dots? no? i always liked checkers.......
i was thinking that - i wasn't doing it to be like Van Halen, as i intend to sell the guitar when it is complete anyways - unless it turns out really good and i decide to keep it

I chose the Van Halen initially because it looks better than just a plain colour and its pretty simple to do - but i know its copying and i wanna be original

So im well open to ideas

peace

oli
polka dots? you serious? what about randy

and checkers can be pretty emo/tryhard punk

if you wanna go the evh stripes go for it

it's your guitar
wat bout racing stripes loke two stipes from either side of the neck? white n orange, red n white w/e. still solid colour and dead easy to do with a bit of non-too-harsh tape and some good paint
i had just thought of the racing stripes thanks guys this is a great help

i also just had the idea of a faux binding if i go with the racing stripes ?

peace

oli
id bind it properly, it looks much nicer. bt it depends on budget. i dnt no the Behringer Black Stratocaster copy type well. if tis worth the binding, id bind it. but if your gold plating poop then faux bindings probably a good idea. it all depends on how much the guitars worth.

i had an idea

checked racing stripes. so like piant tha whole thing red n then do white n black checkerboard racing stripes.

your temepted. i can smell it from here
well put it this way - its a cheap arse guitar but it plays so nicely and as i said before i cant stress how amazing the grain is on the fret board ! shamer the ****ty black dots let it down

oh and Sir - concider yourself Sigged lol ! - your tempted i can smell it form here

but yeah can you explain what you meant wiht the checker board thing please i dont quite get what you mean ?

peace

oli

EDIT: Just got what you meant lol - Like on the Stagg racing telecaster type thing
Last edited by olix99 at Jun 27, 2006,
yeah exactly. do that. its owuld look sooooo good on a strat type. are you upgrading some of the hardware as well?
im upgrading it all - the only thing that is staying is the bare wood neck and bare wood body.

Pair of humbuckers going in there - Taken out of an Ibanez JS series guitar
Gotoh tremolo bridge
graphite nut and string trees
locking tuners
all new wiring
new pickguard (this makes the racing stripe idea kind of a problem)
chrome knobs on the pots
and one knob is gunna be an overdrive FX thing
possibly kill switch

(yes i have a lot of experience with electronics lol)

the only thing i havnt done before is painted !

peace

oli
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 w/ Swineys
Fender Standard Telecaster w/ Duncans
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
ace! how u gonna get two humbeucker in a strat type?

hmmm the pick guard is a problem. can you leave it off or are there loads of screw holes n sh**? i got sigged XD ecstatic! ur putting overdrive IN the guitar? sweet, hows that gonna work? id love to be able to contropl OD whilst playin. i bet theres loads of crazy stuff u can do! hmmm. is it gonna b a strat shaped pickguardcos im looking at mine n if so all you can do i either piant the pick guard (yuck). or move the stripes to the top left (lookin at guitar face on) and like slant them. but i dunno how thtd end up?
2 HBs as the routing is swimming pool type so you can have any pickup config you like

BUT that makes it kinda hard to leave the pickguard out.

And yup overdrive is going IN the guitar - on the second tone knob.

And yeah its gunna be strat shaped....could try and mod it though i guess Why not aye were doing everythign else

peace

oli
Guitars
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
hahahaha. hmmmm i had another thought. get a spray/air bursh and a stencil and put a tyre mark on the top.... otherwise i dnt honestly know how you can get racin stripes. to b honest i think any configuration will look too messed up. id say go for a pattern like tweed or summit (thts right. tweed) bt i dnt no how u achieve tht wid paint. do the whole thing checkerboard mayb? or chrome the b***** up to the g's? as in the whole body. chromed
lol matt bellamy style on his bomber manson DAMN that would be expensive and really really heavy.

okay i think we need to move on from the racing stripe idea which is a shame but damn as it is all pre routed etc then well cant really do much about it unless i block it off and then rear rout but that would be difficult and probably make it sound absolutely poo.

okay so we are back to the EVH stripes lol

hmm....i think id better get the old brain in gear !!

peace

oli
Guitars
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
haha. cud u nt jst use a metallic paint? wat about painting tentacles on it?all originating fom one point? like kraken-style? ud need to print off some sort of template from ur PC bt it wudnt b too hard. u cud paint the guiatr matt black and do the tentacles in a gloss purple

maybe a bit too goth bt its look ACE
hmm im not really a fan of metallic paint it looks kinda cheap and nasty.

BUT that maybe an idea....you knwo those plasma ball things, black with that sorta pattern in purple that could be kinda cool - same kinda thing as your kraken idea

peace

oli
Guitars
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Okay i think i have decided on the EVH pattern - now just for what colour to do it in

I want to go for a colour that VH didnt have - make it different i dont want this ot be a copy or a remake type thing.

Also - Im going to polish the frets on the neck using polishing compound and a dremel - so i was thinking i would polish the fret board and the rest of the neck too - but how do you acheive this ?

The neck is maple and the fretboard is a birdseye maple with black dots.

thanks in advance guys.

Peace

Oli
Guitars
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
hehe you really like your black and purple dont you my man lol

i was thinking of black and white but like the reverse of what VH had, Black body with White Stripes. Or Black and Red - It'd be rather EMO though lol

Peace

Oli
Guitars
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
you should saw off the bottom horn now thats original plus you could get to the strings up high a little better, plus i cant recall anyone ever doing that before.
Okay guys i have come up with the final design and i bought the paint today. I decided to stay with the EVH design with Red on Black.

What do you all think ?

Peace

Oli
Guitars
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Thanks Tele - Finally a nice bit of feedback. Ill mock up a red and black check for you to take a look at ? And thanks for the compliment

I know they are kinda overdone but i am making this guitar purely to sell - its and old guitar of my own that i thought id do up - its a first project and i was sticking to something that i could get plenty of advice on - hence something well known

Peace

Oli
Guitars
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory

This is the checkered one you would like to see tele - i kinda like it actually

Peace

Oli
Guitars
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
I think the eVh one was better but oh well nice guitar I hope it turns out good.

I've seen one of those beringer strats. Aren't they the ones that look nothing like an actual strat?

also I hate wilkinson tremolos. They remind me of my physics teacher.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
lol the trem im using isnt one of those trems its the gotoh strat one - but the wilki looks closer than the normal strat tremolo lol.

My physics teacher sucks too....lol And im doing physics nect year for A Level lol

I prefer the EVH one too, all input and ideas still wanted

Peace

Oli
Guitars
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
^^lol, i see you saw my little rant^^ but anyways, i would most deff go with that EMV design (the 1st one)
EVH design is cool but I would get a white pickguard and either a lighter head stock or a darker neck....
i personally would make the bottom horn look kinda like the top of the ML shape Dean, like with it saed off, but not the whole way, mor rounded square type thing. i think that would look badass, and i would go with different colors, mabey like a sunburst type thing, like sand it all down, and stain a sunburst, trans amber burst style, but with the ML shape thing cuz out, it would be like Dean / strat... just my 2 cents

you mean like that dark manor ? - that is also with a white pearl pickguard for Universe Zero.

Feedback please

Peace

Oli
Guitars
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Im getting mine from Stewmac which is american but they ship to England by air all insured and everything.

You could try axesrus though - http://www.axesrus.com/

Guitars
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
hmm i know the feeling you have but all the people i have seen that have used the place say it is fantastic and the people are really nice to deal with and everything. I might give it a try.

Peace

Oli
Guitars
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
cool, i'm now assured its safe to use and its cheap, i thought with the good prices they were stolen goods or something :p

anyway this project sounds great, have you decided on pick-ups yet?
i have indeed i already have them - Joe Satriani model humbuckers taken out of an Ibanez JS series - i got em cheap, a guy bought a JS series and stuck in sum EMG's so he sold the JS model pickups that were in there - for 30 quid, which was nice lol.

The body is all sanded down and ready to be shaped and painted - got the paint and all the gear all ready to go. Just deciding on a paint pattern and wether i should go for the shaped bottom horn like suggested earlyer. What do you think?

Oli
Guitars
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
I have one of the behringers, well i did have before i got angry one time and i smashed it at the wall, the horns are more pointed than a strat so if you cut the lower horn of it should look very unique, but on the other hand wont it be hard to sit down and play if it's cut off?

You're lucky to get those of that guy for only £30
well i wouldnt be cutting it off completely - more shaping it into a square type thing - theres a picture higher up its the one wiht the pearl pickguard.

I know man i was just in the right place at the right time. This guitar is a build purely to sell, to fund one of the 2006 Ibanez Limited edition models. The GSA wiht the red and black patterny paint job - gunna get that and stick in 2 Seymour DUncan SH - 6 pickups, a kill switch and an inbuilt overdrive.

Peace

Oli
Guitars
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Page 1 of 3