I was messing around the other day and i made a nice melody in this scale: 1 b2 4 5 6. the melody is quite soft and relaxing, and sometimes i can pull a romantic mood out of the scale, mostly coming from the b2, and mostly when descending. but other times it sounds evil, so i decided to raise the 2 when ascending. anyway, is this a pentatonic mode of melodic minor or something? im curious about why the b2 makes a nice sound in this scale
maybe its not based on the note you consider to be 1. can you give me the specific notes?
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
I'd say it's Dorian flat2, but with the b3 and b7 not played. Should be a mode of melodic minor
okay. i wasnt trying to give an answer. but its not a mode. i am only trying to help. thats the idea. we all pool our knowledge and find an answer. i see your knowledge of music theory extends from, oh, the start of the spoon im eating off right now all the way to 1mm past the start of the spoon im eating off right now. you give it a crack, hot shot
I'm sure it is a mode of something, a mode is just a way of relating one scale to another. It looks to me like some sort of pentanic mode of the harmonic minor.
sounds like if it were in the key of E, it would be E,F,A,B,C#..... can the threadstarter verify this or at least the groupings of notes so we have something to go off of?
yes thats what it would be in E.. which is coincidentally the key i found it in but ascending the F becomes F# in my particular taste. actually sometimes the F sounds great ascending, but for some reason it can also completley kill the mood and make an evil sound
Quote by Ead
but for some reason it can also completley kill the mood and make an evil sound
It's a phrygian/half-step thing. That just sounds evil. There's also a tritone between the b2 and the 5.

I also agree with elven. Let's go with a pentatonic form of Dorian b2 (remember, pentatonic simply means 5 note scale, not minor pentatonic).