I'm trying to write a song with with this scale, because I love it so much. But I'm not sure what chords would go best with it. D minor sounds pretty good. Any other ideas?
Originally Posted by Lemoninfluence
he shoved a pole up the lads arse.

he didn't bumshag him.
lol, its phrygian

Phrygian chords: i bII bIII iv v° bVI bvii

Examples in C:
C Minor
Db Major
Eb Major
F Minor
G Diminished
Ab Major
Bb Minor

ahavo rabo taco salad by alter bridge sounds very very very spanish. I think it might be composed around the phrygian or dominant phrygian modes, although i havent looked into it that much.

For the rhythm guitar, they only use powerchords, for example: E5 -> F5 -> G5 -> F5 -> E5 , in a flamenco style, it sounds spannish. Especially when you change them to Major barre chords.

EDIT:
Sorry A.R.T.C is A harmonic minor, but has a very spannishy feel to it.
Been away, am back
Last edited by Logz at Jun 27, 2006,
Maybe you mean Spanish Gypsy? This is from Jam Tracks Exotica:

Chords for Spanish Gypsy
1 major
b2 major
3 diminished
4 minor
5 diminished
b6 augmented
b7 minor
Summer Sale: Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends September 4th.
www.UnderTheGroove.com
Quote by UnderTheGroove
Maybe you mean Spanish Gypsy? This is from Jam Tracks Exotica:

Chords for Spanish Gypsy
1 major
b2 major
3 diminished
4 minor
5 diminished
b6 augmented
b7 minor

The Spanish Phrygian and Spanish Gygpsy are different as far as I know.

The Spanish Phrygian is the Spanish Gypsy with an augmented third back to the major scale value.

Spanish Phrygian in C:- E - F - G - A - B - C - D - E. (1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 1)

Spanish Gypsy in C:- E - F - G# - A - B - C - D - E. (1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7 1)

They're both modes of the Harmonic Minor Scale too - the 4th and 5th respectively.
Quote by Johnljones7443

Isn't that first one just E Phrygian, and the second E Phrygian Dominant (which is a mode of the harmonic minor, but the first isn't)?
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by loonyguitarist
Isn't that first one just E Phrygian, and the second E Phrygian Dominant (which is a mode of the harmonic minor, but the first isn't)?

Yeah - I've fucked up somewhere I've only just started with alternative modes, so I should have checked it up first, lol.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will come along and correct me
I've heard Spanish Phrygian used to mean Phrygian Dominant, the fifth mode of the harmonic minor. It is 1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7. In C, that is C Db E F G Ab Bb. The chords go major, major, diminished, minor, diminished, major, minor.

Phrygian is the same thing, but the third is minor instead of major. It would be that C scale with Eb instead of E.

Quote by Johnljones7443

You did something wrong there. You meant those to be in E, not C. That would make the intervals match the notes. They are incorrectly named though. The first one is E Phrygian, just regular, third mode of the major scale phrygian. The second one is E Spanish Phrygian/Phrygian Dominant/the scale that has 732872878 names.

It looks like Spanish Gypsy is another name for Phrygian Dominant.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Jun 28, 2006,
^I meant them to be in C. In C, it'd be E Phrygian.

I've just tripped up somewhere along the line.

So you're saying, Spanish Gypsy and Spanish Phrygian are the same thing?
Quote by Johnljones7443
^I meant them to be in C. In C, it'd be E Phrygian.

I've just tripped up somewhere along the line.

So you're saying, Spanish Gypsy and Spanish Phrygian are the same thing?
Spanish Gypsy=Spanish Phrygian=Phrygian Dominant=Phrygian Major=1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7!

If you meant them to be in C, you would write them with C as the root, C Db E F G Ab Bb for C Phrygian Dominant and C Db Eb F G Ab Bb for C Phrygian.
Build the chords yourself and switch back and forth between spanish phrygian (3) and normal phrygian (b3). I don't know exactly how you should go about doing this but experiment around and you should find something you like. When composing in minor keys (which this is a variation of) people often switch around between the different modes. I have found you can get a very spanishy sound using a Major I chord (3, from spanish) and compose the rest of the chords using the normla phrygian scale. Two of my favorite progressions are v->I and bII->I.

Hope that helps .