I had a visit to a music shop today and I was looking for a new amp. I tried:

- Orange Rocker 30
- Fender Blues Junior

Both had VERY nice cleans. I?m definitely developing my ear for clean tones and I can appreciate it a lot more. The Orange cleans were very warm and natural and sounded really nice with my Les Paul. The Fender?s were just as nice. I couldn?t really choose between them and I didn?t do a head-to-head A/B of them. But I?d say the Fender just about stole it for cleans.

The Rocker 30?s dirty channel was nice. Broad sweep of sounds using the gain dial; however not really the kind of distortion I was going for. It was very raw and British ? similar to a Marshall tone. It had a very nice sound but like I said not really what I was going for.

As for the Fender: wow I was surprised. I imagined the Blues Junior was pretty much just a clean amp. But crank the volume (not the master volume) and activate the fat switch and woh it was nice. Just the kinda sound I wanted. Sounded just like The Strokes and The Zutons kind of sound. Through my Les Paul it was singing. Didn?t get to try it with an OD, but imagine if I backed off the volume a bit and boosted it with an overdrive it would brilliant.

As for guitars, I had a brief go on:

- Epiphone Dot
- Fender American Strat (limited addition ? not sure how it differed really)
- Fender American Highway Tele
- Fender Jagmaster

To be honest I wasn?t that impressed. To start with, all guitars were poorly setup. They all had a bit of fret buzz on the low E string and were all dreadfully out of tune ? don?t know how often they got played. I literally only had 5 minutes on each but I think I liked the Dot and the Tele the most. All the Fender?s were a little too weak to me, I think I?m majorly used to the higher output of the humbuckers on my Gibson. The Epiphone Dot wasn?t bad but it was so poorly setup I couldn?t make a proper judgement. I would?ve liked to try another, higher end, Epiphone hollow body but that was the only one in the shop.

In conclusion, my Les Paul sounded the best through the Fender amp, which is good since I can put more money into an amp. Although I do have a little fret buzz on the high frets on my E string so I need to get a setup for that soon.

Anyway if you?ve read all that ? well done ? I was always seem to ramble on too much.

Edit - I didn't get to try the Hot Rod Deluxe. Are the gain channels anything like the sound that can be acheived with the fat switch+cranked volume on the Blues Junior?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Last edited by SamDking at Jun 27, 2006,
Mmm, hot rod. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
^ Basically I made the assumption I'm happy with my Les Paul at the moment. But thanks for the suggestion.

And hamish5178,
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
I play my Dot through a Blues jnr and i love it! I can easly get those lo/fi strokesy tones and the cleans are amazing!. If i were you id search around for a decent Dot and try that with the junior, i doubt you will be disappointed!
......keeping down the underground
^ I haven't counted out buying a hollowbody yet I was just saying my Les Paul sounded great through the Blues Junior proving the amp had a lot more to do with the sound I was getting than the guitar. I liked how the Dot sounded through it though. If I had a decent one I'm sure I would've been very impressed.

I love the way they look as well. Plus they're lightweight. If I could bring myself to spend the money I'd buy an Epi hollowbody - maybe a Sheraton - and keep my Les Paul. But I'll probably end up having to choose between them.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
I love the sounds of the Blues Junior more then the hot rod, especially with a tube and speaker swap. The orange is in a whole different league but the blues junior could be my favorite amp for the money.
I use a 335 and Strats and it sounds perfect.
I liked the Orange, but not really for the price it was going for. £700 in the shop. And it's a 1x12 combo with no reverb or FX loop. In my opinion it had to sound pretty awesome to be worth the pricetag. I guess I had the volume pretty low and it could only improve, but the dirty channel wasn't really my cup of tea. Was a little fuzzy.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700