I was lookin at footage of zakk wylde yesterday, on the "live at budakon" show, and during his big solo at the end of "suicide solution" his scrapes either his hand or his pick on the strings, and during so he did like a lick thing on the fretboard. It made this crazy cool noise, and i can't figure out how to do it. Could anybody tell me wtf he's doing and how to do it right?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
I think he runs his ring down the strings, auto flanging maybe
Thanks for reading
Okay, in my expirience, te easiest way to find out how anyone did anything cool with their guitar, live or movie, was just by trying everything it looks like they may have done. It's a lot easier that just going onto the computer and asking people how they think it's done. Usually you don't even get real responses on here, but I think he may have done one or more of the following:

Still using fingers on fretboard
Usind slides at the same time
Using kind of like a taping thing while doing the pickslide
or just plain hammer-on/pull-offs.

Or maybe he mixed all of these together. I couldn't tell you I'm not Zakk Wylde. But those are just some ideas for you, now go try 'em, and actually I think I'm going to right now as well, because this pickslide effect sounds cool. See ya.
thanks guys for the help, and sorry i don't have a clip to post, although i'm sure you could find one somewhere on the internet, good luck findin the right way to do it
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
You are asking us without much information, and then you are saying that we can find the video when we dont even know what you are talking about....???????
Well surely it's obvious that he's doing a pick slide, with some sort of additional lick - maybe tapping whilst he does it. Depending on what you mean by 'crazy cool noise' there could also be some effects pedals involved.
i just tried doing it with a ring, and i think that's how he does it, (thanks chrisbeevor), and i tried to find the vid on the internet, don't think it's there. U'll just have to buy the video "live at budakon". But thanks everybody for the input.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Quote by shredmeiser101
i just tried doing it with a ring, and i think that's how he does it, (thanks chrisbeevor), and i tried to find the vid on the internet, don't think it's there. U'll just have to buy the video "live at budakon". But thanks everybody for the input.

Wait, You want us to buy the video so we can help you?
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
i don't mean you have to buy the video just to help, it jsut seemed like u guys were really interested in this technique. Thanks for the help.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
It's a technique he uses to emulate the sound of a FR divebomb. He covered it in his Guitar World column a long time ago.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
which issue did he cover it in (what date, who was on the cover, etc.)
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT