Hey
I've played guitar for a few months now and I'm starting to get pretty good at playing but the problem is I can't sing while playing. Would be nice if some1 could recommend a good lesson or give me some tips how to practise this.

Thx
Dude there's nothing you can do but practice...

Try playing just sustaining just one chord first and singing, and then go through it slowly with the right rhythm and build it up. Chilli Peppers stuff is good practice then go on to Hendrix and Metallica.
Thanks for reading
Good lord. Most guitarists who sing and play are amazed that Hendrix could sing and play with the proficiency he did at the same time. Most of his stuff isn't simple synchopated strumming like "Purple Haze." Start off with some singer-songwriter chordal stuff. Then move to something that includes a very basic riff -- Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl" is a good example of this. But yeah, all you can do is practice.
Hi, I'm Peter
Ive been having trouble to. Im starting of playing simple chordal songs like, Nirvana, Green Day, Blink 182 etc. Im getting better as i play along.
Ugh, same problem here. I keep thinking no matter how good I get... will I ever be able to sing while playing. And I gotta sing... XD
Quote by Bad Analogy #1
She grew on him like she was a colony of
E. Coli, and he was
room-temperature Canadian beef.

Quote by Bad Analogy #2
It was an American tradition, like
fathers chasing kids around with
power tools.
Yeah, you'll be fine, just keep practicing... It's like drumming when you have to do a lot of different rhythms at once, it'll get better
Thanks for reading
Question - how many of you trying to sing and play can actually sing? Because you should practice your singing independently of your playing in order to make singing easier while you play. If you're a new guitar player, thinking about your chords, it will be impossible to think about what your hands are doing and what you have to do with your voice at the same time. It's like when I teach someone how to drive a manual car -- you know how to use the gas pedal already, so all you have to think about is the clutch. It'll be a matter of either being able to play without thinking about it or singing without thinking about it before you'll be able to do both at the same time.
Hi, I'm Peter
Just Like heaven by The Cure is good to learn, I've been using it to practice singing while playing.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
I'm practicing learning this skill. Start of with simple riffs and progress onto harder ones. Also instead of actually making lyrics and trying to sing them, try to make up the lyrics as you go along. It provides an extra challenge as you have to think of lyrics as well as play guitar and sing. It definetly takes some sort of learning curve to beable todo this.

Good luck!
dude, a useful tip given to me by a friend was to listen to where the chord changes are and use those as markers for different parts of the song. I found trouble keeping in time singing and then my strumming would go out of step. After my friends advice I found it much easier.
main tips:
1. choose a song you know the words to REALLY well (or a song you know completely REALLY well). For me it all clicked into place with Wonderwall-Oasis. It's a song I've known for nearly 10 years so I was able to get it going eventually.
2. when you get tabs of the t'internet, don't be afraid to change them if you don't think they sound right. People submitting them are only human and make mistakes too.
3. practice. (yeah, like no-ones told you that bombshell before). (y)

good luck & start with easy stuff
Quote by Dirk Gently
Question - how many of you trying to sing and play can actually sing? Because you should practice your singing independently of your playing in order to make singing easier while you play. If you're a new guitar player, thinking about your chords, it will be impossible to think about what your hands are doing and what you have to do with your voice at the same time. It's like when I teach someone how to drive a manual car -- you know how to use the gas pedal already, so all you have to think about is the clutch. It'll be a matter of either being able to play without thinking about it or singing without thinking about it before you'll be able to do both at the same time.

Great point. I've never been able to sing, and when I tried it while playing, I got totally screwed up...both voice and playing. But I can do the two separately.
I think that once you get the playing down, the singing will be more natural...you're not just saying what comes next in the lyrics. If you really feel the music, you'll want to sing along...
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
I tried whistling with a song first. However, I listen to a lot of ska so I usually whistle the trumpet lines. I'm getting somewhat better at singing and playing though.
I think that it's easier if you know all the chords and lyrics and stuff really well. Then once you can play it good and sing it good then you can put both together!
"This is gunna blow my cover but I like the FedEx driver because he's a drug dealer and he doesn't even know it"-Mitch Hedberg RIP
It just takes a lot of practice and a lot of coordination
FREE THINKERS ARE DANGEROUS