Please go to my revised thread here as this was only a draft!!!!

The 3 Minor Scales.

When some people refer to the Minor scale, they assume the Natural Minor(or the Aeolian mode), which is thus in the key of A:

|---5----------------------------------------|
|---5---6---8-------------------------------|
|---4---5---7-------------------------------|
|---5---7------------------------------------|
|---5---7---8-------------------------------|
|---5---7---8-------------------------------|

The notes are: A B C D E F G A

The intervals of which are thus:

1-W-2-H-3-W-4-W-5-H-6-W-7-W-8

(W=2 frets/a whole step, H=1 fret/a half step)

This is not the only minor scale, but you could say it is the one that is used most as it is the notes of a minor key. It is the same descending as ascending(all will be revealed??). From this you can derive all your modes and chords, but Im not here to do that.

Im here to introduce/clarify two more minor scales you may have heard of; they are the Harmonic Minor and the Melodic Minor. They both have the interval of a half step that is universal for a sad/minor scale which is between notes 2 and 3, but have slightly different other intervals.

The Harmonic Minor Scale.

This scale sounds quite exotic, and the reason being is that is has an unusual interval of 3 half steps between a pair of notes. Here is the scale tabbed out in the key of G:

|---2---3--------------------|
|---3---4--------------------|
|---2---3---5---------------|
|---4---5--------------------|
|---3---5---6----------------|
|---3---5---6----------------|

The notes are: G A A# C D D# F# G

The intervals of which are thus:

1-W-2-H-3-W-4-W-5-H-6-3H-7-H-8

(3H=3 frets/ 3 Half steps)

Once again this is the same descending(don?t worry, nearly there)

The Melodic Minor scale.

This is the ?oddball? of the three if you like, because this is one of very few scales that is DIFFERENT descending to ascending. Don?t ask me why, just get it right. Ill tab this out differently to show you the change, here it is in the key of C:

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------8----|
|-----------------------------------------------------------8---10---12--------|
|--------------------------------------------7---8---10------------------------|
|----------------------------------9---10---------------------------------------|
|--------------------8---10--12------------------------------------------------|
|---8---10---11----------------------------------------------------------------|

The notes are: C D D# F G A B C

The intervals of which are;

1-W-2-H-3-W-4-W-5-W-6-W-7-H-8

Right, here it is, descending, same key:

|---8-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------11---9---8----------------------------------------------------------|
|----------------------10---8---7-------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------10---8---------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------11---10---8-----------------|
|---------------------------------------------------------------11---10---8-|

The notes are(in descending order): C A# A G F D# D C

The intervals of which are(also descending):

8-W-7-W-6-H-5-W-4-W-3-H-2-W-1

Some of you may have noticed that the Melodic Minor Descending is exactly the same as the Natural Minor.

Right, a bit of information on the two scales and their uses for you. The Harmonic Minor scale was used to create the Harmony, ie the chords and scales that go over a song to make it a lot fuller(well, it wouldn?t be much else without them). Now this works fine, but when you use it for the Melody as well, it doesn?t work so well. This is because of its distinct interval of 3 Half steps, which singers find hard to sing, therefore another scale was created for the Melody: the Melodic Minor. In music, due to its different form descending, you will find that if notes are descending, they will conform to the intervals found in that scale. It must be said though that this is not always the case, as musicians always want to be different and unique so they might do that for a change.

I hope that this helps, please point out anything that you think is incorrect or hard to understand. Its rather short but concise I suppose.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Last edited by notoriousnumber at Jul 17, 2006,
it doesn't really make a difference but where you are naming the chords it would be more appropriate to name the notes as:

Harmonic Minor G A Bb C D Eb F# G

Melodic Ascending C D Eb F G A B C

Melodic Descending C Bb A G F Eb D C

It doesn't matter too much but it makes more since if your showing a scale to include all the notes with appropriate names.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

Awesome. My guitar teacher has touched on this stuff with me, so it was nothing new for me. But still, great lesson; a tad bit short, if you ask me, but it'd still make an awesome lesson. I can imagine how much it'd help out others.
(I'd give it a 10/10, if it were an actual article )
^Thank you very much, I shall try to expand it over the next couple of days to include more info.

I am currently modifying it

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Last edited by notoriousnumber at Jul 17, 2006,