I have an old Epiphone Les Paul knockoff, with some nice pick ups in it and nice mechine heads, and all. I want to give it that old vintage look, kinda like the Fender "relics". Any on got any tips on how to do thaT?

To kidna have This kidna look:
Using it a lot helps to wear downthe finish in good places. Use a belt buckle to scratch up the back, put a cigarette out on the top (if you don't smoke, find someone who does), you can rough up the surface of chrome parts with steel wool, and white/creme parts can be left in strong coffee or tea for a few hours to give them an aged appearance, leave the body in a window.... in the sun.... (this one can be kind of dangerous because it can warp your body), find places that your body makes contact with the guitar, mark them and then sand the edges down a little. After you do that, that should loosen up the paint and it will start to wear down.

Hope that helps. By the way, any pics? By the way again, hope that helps.

http://www.tdpri.com/resourceRELICING.htm

It says not to use steel wool but hydrochloric acid instead. I hear that bleach works too.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
Last edited by poochy at Jun 28, 2006,
^Those crazy Russians

And threadstarter that Strat relic is horrible.

And bang your guitar against a few walls quite softly, that works, I found that out the accidental way...
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
There is of course the method of practicing a lot with the same guitar. Making it big, still playing all shows with the same guitar, and then about 30-40 years from now you will have this awesome weathered guitar that will sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars because it's famous.

Or, sandpaper, shoepolish, and a penchant for ruining COMPLETELY GOOD GUITARS.
wow, russians are crazy when it comes to relicing. remind me not to take my guitar to russia anytime soon...lol
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Quote by metalmilitia74
wow, russians are crazy when it comes to relicing. remind me not to take my guitar to russia anytime soon...lol

If you looked through the entire thing, on the first page its mentioned that its a Standard Squier.
At the end they give the guitar to various famous russian guitarists and manage to trick them that they're playing a real played out vintage strat
I've seen that one in russan in english somewhere before. I've only seen up to them burying.

Also: so buying a Squire just to do that
One, an Epiphone is NOT a knockoff. Les Paul himself approves Epiphone making LP guitars. Therefore, they are the real deal.

Two, USE THE DAMN THING!
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Didnt Gibson Buy out Epiphone, back in the day Epiphone was Gibsons biggest competitor.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by darkinertia
just check out John Frusciante's guitar

Rory Gallaghers one is better
Shoe pollish???

Russians....
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
Do what a real man would, play it for 35 years!!

Get booze on it, drop it, hit it, stub ya fags out on it etc!

Rock and Roll
Quote by seljer
Rory Gallaghers one is better

yeah, and its been customised, and going for £4000 pounds for a copy of one

the best way to make a guitar look used is to bas it about a bit, keys, sand paper, cigarettes, stuff thats wears the finish down, hit it against the wall slightly if you dont care about it too much
That relic is awfull. D=
Way too unatural.

I'd just get some sandpaper a few screwdrivers and do it as unneatly as possible, dont just stick to filing around contours etc. go from the middle.
Or better yet just give it a few good years of total abuse.
^I'm gonna' try that, any pics of the finished results mate?

And when you say...
Quote by Clay Treznum
Boil the mixture and then turn off the heat. Immediatly drop your knobs into the pot and cover them with the tea grounds.
...Aren't the tea grounds already in the mixture?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by tomslespaul
Just let it get it like that naturally (pretty hard to do on poly finishes though) because relics almost always look crap.

I agree. I saw a fender relic guitar in my guitar shop and it was finished in satin and they put the finish on the parts which were supposed to be exposed wood!?

If you want to get an aged look I think if you polish your guitar with car polish everyday it will start to weaken the finish which will quicken the ageing process.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."