Right, I want to spend a bit of money upgrading my.. 'rig' (if you can call it that!!) lol.
I play mainly metal with some heavy rock stuff too.

Here's my current set up.

ESP Explorer w/ EMG81/60 >>>
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Wah w/ Fasel >>>
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory >>>
Line 6 Spider 2 30w (emulation turned off, on clean <basically used as a speaker>

Can anyone make any suggestions on where I need to spend some money? Thanks!
I suggest that you get a new amp, especially if you're not using the distortion from it.

How much exactly do you have to spend?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
that amps gotta go, and i'm not a fan of the digitech pedals but that's preference. i dont know how much £400 is in american so...
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Well if you get a tube amp you dont need a distortion pedal. Check out Laney GH50, Marshall JCM's.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Hmm, could you sell your amp, and have more money towards the £400?

And what sounds are you looking for from an amp?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Well I love the Peavey XXX, that's my favourite amp. But way out of my price range.

Tried a Laney GH50, it was good for rock stuff but didn't have the metal tone i was looking for. And with JCMs.. most are too loud.

I can't really go over 40w because I need to keep the noise down.
^ what type of metal tone are you after?

for £400, the obvious ones to look at would be the ashdon fallen angel and marshall dsl401, but I'm not sure if either of them have the metal tone you're after either. It'd be better if you could save a bit more...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
VOX ad series, peavey valveking or roland cube.
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
umm...im guessing that 400 is about 650-700 american so...mabey a peavey combo?....
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Peavey's cost a lot more over here.. a XXX 40w combo is £1000 = $1650 (ish)

I've tried the DSL401 and it's a great amp, but it's not as tight and crisp as I like. It's perfect for all my rock needs though. Maybe there's some kind of pedal I could use to tighten up the sound? I've heard tubescreamers can do that? Any suggestions?

The Vox AD / Roland Cube.. i just wanna stay away from emulation stuff in the future. The cube sounds amazing, but I'd prefer something all-valve.

The fallen angel.. i can't find anywhere that I can try one. I've heard they've sorted out all their issues with them too (because various things kept developing faults on their amps).

and Dave, I'm looking for a kinda Shadow's Fall tone. I think they were using Peavey 5150's but now moved on to Krank's.

Maybe a DSL401 and a krank distortus maximus pedal will do me best. Sorry i've rambled on for ages! But any help would be very much appreciated!!
a 5150 combo would be too loud, and well above my price range.

I might try the DSL401 with a tubescreamer before it.. to see if that works. Shadows Fall use Kranks.. so they'd be perfect but I can't afford one.
i'd say the fallen angel is probably a bit closer to the SF sound than the dsl, but not much.

Best bet would be a 5150/krank (i haven't tried them, they may suck)/diezel or something along those lines. But they're way over budget.

I'd either save, or get a fallen angel or dsl. I'd skip the krank pedal though, an od pedal will probably sound better (over your crunch channel), unless you happen to like the sound of the krank pedal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've noticed that SF do that.. they use an Maxon OD pedal. So they have some gain from the OD pedal and the rest from the amp? (like what I was saying with using a tubescreamer)

I'll have to try a fallen angel.. maybe get one of those and a maxon OD
A DSL401 won't do a metal tone, sorry guys

A randall RG50TC was my go to amp when the local music shop was around (for metal tones). This thing is simple sex in a box loaded with a celestion. Fairly cheap as well
DSL 401 will do metal all you need is a OD pedal. I dont know where your getting that idea from. ive got a friend with one and he uses it for metal it sounds really good
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
why do people say you need a od pedal? scoop the mids and put some volume into it. there enough mids in the amp that you can scoop the mids and still get decent lead tones. as for gain unless you need to bury your self behind a wall of distortion then it should be fine. i agree with syn. they doe metal fine. for example i can get calibans exact tone on the amp. lets see. SF is metalcore. caliban is metal core, but a ****eload heavier than SF. setting were treble 8.5 mids 0 bass 7 master volume 10 gain volume 7. the gain volume is what controls the tone to the amp. crank it and its mud. bout 7 and its metal. you use the master to regulate volume not the gain volume.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel