ok, you can tune the six string by holding E on the fifth fret and tuning the open A string to it. Then holding A on the fifth fret and tuning the open D string to it and so on.

does this work for the bass too?
well hey...i thought so but i figured i would go ahead and ask.......

although i can be a little slow sometimes...
Quote by Walkin'Basser
why should'nt it? this is the most retarded question i've ever seen...

Hey, shut up!

He asked an honest enough question and you make fun of him for it.

Bastard
Quote by Walkin'Basser

i bet you've been playing probably 2 weeks

any takers on this bet?
Quote by Mad Marius
Because there's no point in being on the Internet of you're not gonna act like an arrogant prick.
Technically, that doesn't mean you are in tune, it just means all your strings are tuned to be the how-ever-many-steps above each other. Just because it's the A string doesn't mean it isn't mistuned and lower or higher than what it should be.
get a tuner. best thing invented since uh..sliced bread? seriously
actually, the best thing invented was the A=440Hz tuning fork. mortals use tuners. I bang a tuning fork and put it between my teeth to let it ring out while i tune it with the a harmonic. PISSES all over ay tuner you can get, Korg or not!
Hmmm, i'd put it to the test! but yeah you're probably right.. my point though is not to reply on tuners trust me, there will be a time when you dont have one and someone says "here, tune of my piano".. doh....
Quote by StJimmy88
ok, you can tune the six string by holding E on the fifth fret and tuning the open A string to it. Then holding A on the fifth fret and tuning the open D string to it and so on.

does this work for the bass too?

Yea 6 strings are tuned in 5ths all the way up, not like guitars which are tuned in 5ths until the B string which is tuned a 4th above the (G) previous string...For standard tuning...

But I tune my 6 string to A-D-A-D-G-B# so whatever floats your boat I guess...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
^ isnt it tuned 4ths all the way up, and with the guitar's B string being tuned to the 3rd of the G?

5ths and 5th fret, etc, are two way different things.
^if you tune the E, its fifth fret for A D G, then the B is the 4th fret of the G, then the e is the fifth fret of the B

Quote by Walkin'Basser

wheres dan when you need him?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
TO Manga: Oh, yea I guess, I was told that basses were tuned in 5ths but you're probably right...

<EDIT> Yea you're right, the 5th of the open E string would be the 7th fret on the low E which would be a B...Needless to say thats not how you tune to standard...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jun 28, 2006,
Quote by Applehead
actually, the best thing invented was the A=440Hz tuning fork. mortals use tuners. I bang a tuning fork and put it between my teeth to let it ring out while i tune it with the a harmonic. PISSES all over ay tuner you can get, Korg or not!

That's true, But the good Rackmount Korgs will get you to within 1/100th of a cent, which is good enough.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
That's true, But the good Rackmount Korgs will get you to within 1/100th of a cent, which is good enough.

how much would they set me back?

Quote by metaldud536

not the £8 my tuning fork did i tell thee!

Of course racks are essential kit for gigging, but at home i like to try and train my ear when i can, god knows it needs it.
if you held the fork in your mouth, wouldnt your jaw resonate at 440hz then?

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by IndieMetalhead
if you held the fork in your mouth, wouldnt your jaw resonate at 440hz then?

yezzzzzzzzz....

I'd use my keyboard to tune, but it doesn't go to the low E, just to C, so I can onll tune the D and G strings. would a fork be worth it?
Quote by guitarshark2099
i bet you've been playing probably 2 weeks

any takers on this bet?

8 months but nice try...
to the thread starter: i appologize. really im deeply sorry i should'nt have said that.
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
Yea 6 strings are tuned in 5ths all the way up, not like guitars which are tuned in 5ths until the B string which is tuned a 4th above the (G) previous string...For standard tuning...

But I tune my 6 string to A-D-A-D-G-B# so whatever floats your boat I guess...

dude, B# doesn't exist
Quote by Deliriumbassist
dude, B# doesn't exist

yeah it does, its just more commonly refered to as C

in some cases its better to use B#, tho i forget when.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
dude, B# doesn't exist

I meant to say Bb...silly me
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jun 28, 2006,
kinda funny, in the simpson's homer's barbershop quartet was called the b-sharps. i always found that amusing.

but anyways yes, a significant difference between a bass and a guitar is that a bass is tuned (normally) in 5ths all the way up and down regardless of number of strings, and a guitar always has that 1 string tuned funny to play chords easier
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
yezzzzzzzzz....

I'd use my keyboard to tune, but it doesn't go to the low E, just to C, so I can onll tune the D and G strings. would a fork be worth it?

well, get your g string in tune, then you can use the 7th frett harmonic on the g string to the 5th frett harmonic on the d string. you'll hear a slight wave in the sound, and tightening or loosening will change the wave. tighten or loosen it until there is no more wave, and it just sounds like two harmonics ringing out.

you can use this for every string too d tunes a, a tunes e.

e doesnt tune g though......
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
^ Actually, it should sound like ONE harmonic ringing out, no pulsing in the sine wave at all
Quote by mangablade
yeah it does, its just more commonly refered to as C

in some cases its better to use B#, tho i forget when.

The Key of A-Sharp minor consists of a B-Sharp. You have to call it a B Sharp as there is a C Sharp in there already. You cannot have a C and a C Sharp so we refer to it as B-Sharp, but it is enharmonic to C (same note). How ever this key is rarely used in music.
Quote by Applehead
The Key of A-Sharp minor consists of a B-Sharp. You have to call it a B Sharp as there is a C Sharp in there already. You cannot have a C and a C Sharp so we refer to it as B-Sharp, but it is enharmonic to C (same note). How ever this key is rarely used in music.

well, actually, that's good to know... cheers for the explanation, bud
No worries, it got me a while back to. There are also double-sharps, when you sharp a sharpened note for the same reason.. so there is no duplicate note name..

Someone correct me if i'm wrong!
Quote by crazypeanutman
well, get your g string in tune, then you can use the 7th frett harmonic on the g string to the 5th frett harmonic on the d string. you'll hear a slight wave in the sound, and tightening or loosening will change the wave. tighten or loosen it until there is no more wave, and it just sounds like two harmonics ringing out.

you can use this for every string too d tunes a, a tunes e.

e doesnt tune g though......

good to know