ok guys, im really confused about the volume of tubes amps...
im just looking for a good tube sound in a 450-500 price range that must be good for rock(all types). i got offered this marshall dsl 401..
40 watts.
i just wanted to ask about the volume, ex i dont want anything louder than lets say a bandit 100watts.
and the tubes...
how much aprox the tubes on the amp will last with at least 2 hours a day..
thx!
It'll be more than loud enough (unless you're looking for tons and tons of clean headroom....but you do not buy a Marshall for that).
Generally its something the tube amp watts x 2.5 = amount of equivelant solid state watts.
And tube amps break up in a GOOD way when you crank them, unlike solid states

The tubes should last you well over a year if you dont throw the amp around, probably 2 years (might want to change them at that point since the tone will probably be a bit duller)
How long tubes will last is completely unpredictable. I'll leave my amp on (on standby) for days at a time, and I haven't changed tubes since I bought my amp 7 or so years ago. If you're playing at moderate levels, not pushing them a lot, and they don't unexpectedly "blow" (tubes can do that - they're not a whole lot different than lightbulbs), you can expect 18-24 months life out of them. And that amp ability and volume-wise will be good for what you're looking for.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
How long tubes will last is completely unpredictable. I'll leave my amp on (on standby) for days at a time, and I haven't changed tubes since I bought my amp 7 or so years ago. If you're playing at moderate levels, not pushing them a lot, and they don't unexpectedly "blow" (tubes can do that - they're not a whole lot different than lightbulbs), you can expect 18-24 months life out of them. And that amp ability and volume-wise will be good for what you're looking for.

7 years, and you don't need a tube change. How did they last so long?
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Quote by Chimaira

as long as they don't break or loose their vacuum or anything like that they'll work on and on....

I believe the only thing that slowly dies in it the cathode's ability to emit electrons (or something it becoming slowly positively charged? really can't remember)
Quote by Chimaira

Beats me. But I highly recommend Mesa/Boogie tubes
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Beats me. But I highly recommend Mesa/Boogie tubes

Yea, I've heard good things about them, what kind of sound do they get?
Quote by GiantRaven
Quote by Chimaira

Don't Mesa Boogie amps have fixed bias? so they choose their tubes so they're sure to work right with their amps.
Quote by seljer
Don't Mesa Boogie amps have fixed bias? so they choose their tubes so they're sure to work right with their amps.

I have no idea. What is fixed bias exactly?
Quote by GiantRaven
Quote by Chimaira

That's a pretty loaded question figuring I've never changed the tubes and Boogies have so many power and tone switching options that without heavy comparison, it's hard to separate the amp from the tubes. But they're 6L6 power tubes. I like them, but I'm always looking to try something else. I might run a combo of EL34s and 6L6s when I switch my tubes out in a couple months.

And fixed bias means that Mesa/Boogie determined that bias adjustments are pretty useless, ultimately, and set their amps so you can switch out tubes without ever having to rebias them. There's a lengthy explanation of the rationale somewhere on their website. Might have to look in the amp manuals.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jun 28, 2006,
Does that mean you could still swap out the tubes, for say a pair of JJs? Would you have you bias the amp? Would it be harder to bias on a fixed bias? Sorry about all the questions it's just that my Valveking has a fixed bias, and I want to understand how they work?
Quote by GiantRaven
Well for a Boogie, it means you just switch the tubes and that's it -- you don't have to do anything else to the amp, which is really cool since you can use like 3 different types of power tubes in a Mark IV without adjustment. As far as your Valveking goes, check the manual or the website.
Hi, I'm Peter
Fixed bias has nothing to do with the tubes themselves. It just means the amp itself has no bias adjustment. Plug in a new set of tubes, and you're ready to go. Doesn't matter if they're Mesa, JJ, EH, Sovtek, etc. It's just plug and play. They do recommend you use premium brand tubes though, since cheap ones might go too hot or too cold since their tolerances will be different.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Thanks a lot both of you. I'm now off to go get a new pair of tubes. I really do hate those Sovteks though. Very noise tubes.
Quote by GiantRaven
hmm what can u guys tell me about the peavey classic 30?, and thx a lot for the volume answer ^_^
Too bad nearly any amp that's had a fixed biased is biased terribly. Rectos, 5150s, blah. WAY too cold. You should see what they sound like biased correctly!
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
Sounds like a guy who's read some Eurotubes propaganda. Yeah, I'm going to do some expensive mods to my $1,800 amp because that guy doesn't like it... I like the sound of my amp a lot, thanks.
Hi, I'm Peter
ok guys i can get an dsl 401 for 450, and 500 with 8 tubes for replacement.., they are 2 diferent persons selling me the amp...and the 500 with 8 tubes guy has had the amp for 2 years , and the 450 for a couple of months..
so what do u think?
Umm...well, a person who only plays in his bedroom will give the amp less stress in 2 years than someone who gigs will in a couple weeks. Do you know anything else about them?
Hi, I'm Peter
o hmm the 450 guys uses it only for bedroom practice...the other i think gigs with it...