so the other day i was watching a clip of ratm playing "testify" on the conan o'brien show. during the solo he took his guitar cable out, and by shoving it out and in of the pickup, he made a dj scratchy sound. I've been trying to do it forever, but i just can't. Does anybody know wtf you have to do to do that? I think the clip may be on google video somewhere, or i might be able to post it if somebody could tell me how. (i never have posted a video before)
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
just post the hyperlink
Quote by Righteous
Is that Chuck Norris in your avator? I never thought of him as a shredder really... a shredder of bodies maybe.

Member: "I died a little inside when Steve Irwin died...RIP" club. Put in your sig to join

Self Proclaimed Master of Typos
I have no idea how he does it. He makes scratching noises by having one pickup turned off and one on and then switching between the quickly whilst rubbing the strings with his hand... Its a really strange technique. Ive seen the one your talking about as well but i think thts just a case of rubbing it on the strings and pickups in a certain way.
My Gear:
Epiphone SG
Vintage SG
Stagg Strat (With replaced hardware and a Duncan Invader )
Hohner Strat
No name Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DS-1
Roland Cube 60
Wires and patch cords and stuff..
Last edited by Stevie B at Jun 28, 2006,
He uses the feedback then uses his wah and Whammy pedal to change the octave of it.
Quote by uterus
so he can purify his air, asshole.

My Rig:
Customized Squire Strat
Vox Valvetronix 100VT
Boss MT2 Metal Zone
Dunlop Crybaby
Ernie Ball strings
Quote by Stevie B
I have no idea how he does it. He makes scratching noises by having one pickup turned off and one on and then switching between the quickly whilst rubbing the strings with his hand... Its a really strange technique. Ive seen the one your talking about as well but i think thts just a case of rubbing it on the strings and pickups in a certain way.

no ur thing of another technique of his, he does that in bulls on parade. testify... can any1 play dat solo (besides morello of course) i have tried but it doesnt sound anythin like it!
how do you post a hyper link (the vid i have is on the computers memory, not off the internet)?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
you can't post a link to a video that's on your computer. You would have to upload it first, and post the link to that.
how do you upload (i'm not good with computers)
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Quote by stratster23
He uses the feedback then uses his wah and Whammy pedal to change the octave of it.

Yep, also some delay sometimes. It's just that buzz you get when you touch your lead against metal/yourself treated with some/all of his million effect pedals.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
He's using his wah pedal at the same time. I have this video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdC9Lph3AGw

I use the same method on one of my band's songs for a solo. Gets a lot of attention, lol... but yea, take out the cable and touch any metal piece of hardware BUT the pickups. Work the wah pedal... and there ya go. Even add some delay. I could go on...
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Not only is it insanly cool sounding, its also insanly bad for your speaker; be careful or start saving money.
thanks for the advice, i figured out how to sound similar to it with a straight up wah and rocking the tip of the cable back and forth against two strings. And how is it bad for your speaker?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Quote by shredmeiser101
And how is it bad for your speaker?

Well, imagine there's someone who is going to be pushing against you. Now what's going to hurt more; him coming up and slowly pushing against you, at a constant rate, so that you, only move a little bit, or coming up a punching you so hard that you fly backward?
Quote by CoreysMonster
uh, the latter?

Well, you are the speaker, and the pusher is the sound. Just suddenly smacking your speaker with sound with cause it shock and will damage; that's why you should turn off/mute your amp before you plug in.
how long do you think it would take doing that to cause it damage?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Quote by shredmeiser101
how long do you think it would take doing that to cause it damage?

I dunno, that's like asking "how much flicking does it take to fuck up a killswitch"; I haven't done it yet (though it sounds like I'm nearing it). It really depends on how loud you're doing, how often, if you're using drive and what speakers you have. I think bass speakers would stand up better to that though, and they add better low end.
thanks for the advice
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
yea.... it's wild
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Those videos have really only shown me that

Oh man, ive been playing the Like a Stone solo wrong!!
He plays it on the bottom three strings argh!

Tabs anyone?
Quote by jmag

God, you make a 5-year-old seem like master Yoda, as far as patience goes.
That explains y on bigger amps they warm up and the sound comes in at a low volume and it just gains.
^Actually, all tube amps are like that. The tubes have to warm up, which is another reason why solid states are better than tubes in many ways-- they don't blow and they don't warm up.
I tried (and succeeded I may add) to play this solo on my guitar teachers stuff (since he has a wah, and I'm to cheap to buy one lol). It sounded really good, until the teacher walked in and asked me what the hell I was doing lol. Testify isnt't eh only song he does this in either (the last haf of "The Curse" solo is the same technique).
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
thanks for all the advice, and good luck on getting a wah onemanarmy9
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Quote by Strat_Monkey
Yep, also some delay sometimes. It's just that buzz you get when you touch your lead against metal/yourself treated with some/all of his million effect pedals.

Tom morello has a smaller pedalboard then 90% of this forum lol.

Anyways,

He makes the Testify intro sound by setting his whammy to harmonize on the minor 7th, which is one full octave up I think. He then strums the low E string while rocking the wah forward. He also uses slap back delay to create a reverb sound.

As for the solo: no idea
someone earlier said (it might have been another thread) that you could make a guitar noise with a remote control, how do you do this?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Quote by shredmeiser101
someone earlier said (it might have been another thread) that you could make a guitar noise with a remote control, how do you do this?

Just point at it and push buttons. It actually really stupid, it just makes a quiet "tick tick tick" noise.
i just did the remote thing, alone it's kind of stupid, but when you wave it in patterns and add wah or other effects you can make some pretty bizzarre, but cool, noises
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
I'm guessing it wopuld hurt your speaker, jack, scratch your guitar, and on top of that, I can get the same sound with my wah.
Dickless.
Quote by MastaBassist10
^Actually, all tube amps are like that. The tubes have to warm up, which is another reason why solid states are better than tubes in many ways-- they don't blow and they don't warm up.

....i'll just wait thanks
Quote by Snowblindvictim
Those videos have really only shown me that

Oh man, ive been playing the Like a Stone solo wrong!!
He plays it on the bottom three strings argh!

Tabs anyone?

What bottom strings are you saying the high e b and g or the low E A and D. Because Im prteety sure Tom plays it on the low E A and D strings.
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
do you think the remote thing would mess up the amp? i don't think it would because it's not a very "poweful" noise
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
yeah that's what i meant. If you guys wanna learn how to make bizarre guitar noises, check out my "bizarre noises thread" where you can post how to make any sort of bizarre guitar noises you know how to make
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Quote by shredmeiser101
yeah that's what i meant. If you guys wanna learn how to make bizarre guitar noises, check out my "bizarre noises thread" where you can post how to make any sort of bizarre guitar noises you know how to make

Or PM me....