Hey guys, real quick question about temperature changes for a guitar. I know that quick changes can cause the wood to crack etc... but what about a slow change albeit to a high temperature, ex: bringing a black guitar outside on a hot sunny day with moderate humidity. Can that cause damage to my wood (ha, ha) or am I good to go as long as the change is gradual and even?
Takamine EG531SSC - "Kim"
Fender Mexican Stratocaster - "Jessica"
-Texas Special Pickups
Crate Palomino v16 Class A Tube Amp

Well it's floodin down in Texas
it still cracks... just make sure to get one of those sound hole humidifiers that planetwaves sells... it keeps your guitar safe
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
I seriously doubt you could damage the wood on your guitar by taking it outside. As for your example : the guitar is already exposed to those conditions even though its "inside". Your windows are open, or doors have opened throughout the day. The humidity won't be massively different outside, nor will the temperature. The only thing that could happen is it could go slightly out of tune, or possibly warp the neck a tiny bit (though that won't happen unless the seasons are changing, like from winter to spring, and that takes a while of different conditions to alter the neck) even then, that can be fixed by adjusting the truss rod.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Though you should be precautionary, I'm sure you'll be fine. My guitar has gone from midwest winter to 140 degree weather in a week for 2 months and back again. The top is lacquered which helps but I experienced no noticable damage or change in inotation etc. It did, however affect my friends guitar because his neck was screwed up to begin with, it made it slightly better.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
Quote by iain4444
As for your example : the guitar is already exposed to those conditions even though its "inside". Your windows are open, or doors have opened throughout the day. The humidity won't be massively different outside, nor will the temperature.

I don't know where you live, but here the temperate difference from outside and inside is around 20-30 degrees fahreneit in the summer and anywhere from 20-70 degrees fahrenheit in the winter. i'd call that massively different.
I've had my guitar out in the hot sun on a hot sunny day and all that hapened was that it got really out of tune, but no cracks or damage. I don't think that heat or cold can damage your guitar unless it's extreme heat, extreme cold or a really quick temperature change. Do keep humidity in mind, 'cause wood and moist are a bad combination
Quote by jimtaka
I don't know where you live, but here the temperate difference from outside and inside is around 20-30 degrees fahreneit in the summer and anywhere from 20-70 degrees fahrenheit in the winter. i'd call that massively different.

Well thats odd, because if you had of glanced towards my 'location', you would know I live in south-western ontario, canada. I'm not saying there is no difference in inside/outside temperature, but if you take your guitar oustide with 70 degree change instantly, I'd call you a fool. I'm speaking from personal experience and from everything I've ever seen. I've never seen someone take a guitar outside and have the temperature damage it.

Are you saying that when there is a massive difference in temp from outside to inside, and some opens your door and a large gust of wind comes in that is 20 - 70 degrees cooler than inside and hits your guitar - it will damage it?
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
^-- haha no no no. i didn't say anything about damage to a guitar at all in my post actually. and yeah my bad on not noticing that you have your actual location posted... i'm retarded. but in all seriousness, temperature can damage your guitar in the right circumstances. my beater guitar (takamine gs330s) has four cracks in the soundboard just from being left in my truck. taking your guitar outside and playing it in your backyard or something like that shouldn't damage it though. basically you just need to be the slightest bit careful and you should be fine.