okay my friends and i are starting to play gtr with each other and trying to get a band going, we have no bass but could an octave peddal make a guitar sound as low or close enough to a bass.
yes... if you have on the right setting... i believe hendrix used them in some of his solos
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Look into Digitech Whammys. Jack White used it (one octae down) on Seven Nation Army.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
okay i looked some up on the internet and some gave me a choice of one octave lower or two, which one should i buy
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
You can get a pedal called an Octavia. Its a fuzz pedal with an octave. Hendrix used them. Or you can just get a Boss Octave pedal.

I think that's an octave-up pedal. He's talking about an octave-down pedal.
you wont ever be able to replicate the true sound that a bass makes in the band. i tried that in my first band, cause i hated playing bass and just wanted to see if it would work. If you have absolutely no way to get a bass player, this is what i'd do as far as a rig goes for you.

Guitar--- A/B/Y box----your guitar effects here----- guitar amp
\
\-----octave pedal------bass amp

EDIT: ok, that diagram didnt really work out how it looks, but just use the Y splitter to split the signal and then run one half to a guitar amp, and then other half through an octave pedal and then a bass amp
Fender '82 Walnut Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
EHX English Muff'n
Boss DD-6
Quote by MastaBassist10
How come octave-down pedals don't ruin amps, but basses do?

Because im sure basses have lower frequencies and output. But im not exactly sure....

EDIT: Whoa, am I sure or am I not sure...

my bass player plays through the fender FM15G you get with the squier GUITAR pack, and it hasnt blown yet, all settings at 10 all the time too. but any way, octave pedal adds the octave to the guitar, so you get the guitar and the octave lower. why dont you just pick up bass?
Guitars
Fender Telecaster 72 deluxe reissue
BCRich Neckthru mockingbird w/ floyd
Franken Strat, that i built
Amp
Crate V50 5212
Drums
Mapex Pro M classic Sabian AA/Paiste 2002 cymbals Iron Cobra
yeah, the fender fm15g stands up to it pretty well though, its weird.
Guitars
Fender Telecaster 72 deluxe reissue
BCRich Neckthru mockingbird w/ floyd
Franken Strat, that i built
Amp
Crate V50 5212
Drums
Mapex Pro M classic Sabian AA/Paiste 2002 cymbals Iron Cobra
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Because im sure basses have lower frequencies and output. But im not exactly sure....

EDIT: Whoa, am I sure or am I not sure...

A low guitar E string an octave down is the same note as a bass's E string.
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
You can get a pedal called an Octavia. Its a fuzz pedal with an octave. Hendrix used them. Or you can just get a Boss Octave pedal.

the Octavias were a fuzzy octave up, and turned your guitar's sonud into a huge wallop of noise when combined with a fuzzface.
The MXR blue box however, does a similiar sort of crazy fuzz but with an octave down...though its probably not what you're looking for

The Boss Octave (theres 2 of them, the OC3 works better for multiple strings at once I believe, the OC2 is the older one) will do octave down for that low end.
The Digitech Whammy can do an octave down without trouble.
The Electroharmonix POG and HOG can do a bunch of octaves all over the place.

I think Jack White as...well practically all of the above and he plays into his old Fenders without trouble.
edit: well just the Electoharmonix POG and the Digitech Whammy, but I believe the Whammy is more for whammy bar sounds when he wants them as his guitar doesn't have a tremolo?...I'm not a huge White Stripes fan
Last edited by seljer at Jun 30, 2006,
Quote by seljer
the Octavias were a fuzzy octave up, and turned your guitar's sonud into a huge wallop of noise when combined with a fuzzface.
The MXR blue box however, does a similiar sort of crazy fuzz but with an octave down...though its probably not what you're looking for

The Boss Octave (theres 2 of them, the OC3 works better for multiple strings at once I believe, the OC2 is the older one) will do octave down for that low end.
The Digitech Whammy can do an octave down without trouble.
The Electroharmonix POG and HOG can do a bunch of octaves all over the place.

I think Jack White as...well practically all of the above and he plays into his old Fenders without trouble.
edit: well just the Electoharmonix POG and the Digitech Whammy, but I believe the Whammy is more for whammy bar sounds when he wants them as his guitar doesn't have a tremolo?...I'm not a huge White Stripes fan
The Whammy does everything, harmozing, pitch banding, de-tuning, you name it.