so currently i have .009 strings and standard tuning. i want to tune 1/2 step lower (Eb) and get heavier strings. so i need your advice about gauge... should i get .010 or .011?
i don't want the strings to get to tight cause i'm doing a lot of bending...
and another question, i don't want to make a new thread cause of it. what scale is used in purple haze solo?
Just go with 10's. They will be an easier step up.

Not sure about the Purple Haze, sorry.
Purple Haze solo: (this is from a number of guitar player):
He goes back and forth E minor and E Major pentatonic scale

On Guitar Pro it said E minor 13th argcapeggio.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Start with .010s. .009s are like rubber bands, so you're going to have to go up slow. I use .11s and like them a lot better than .010s and I'll probably start using .012s pretty soon. So in my opinion you should get used to using .010s then switch to .011s.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
^^thanks for that purple haze thingy (to gabel).
and thanks to everyone else. i'm a little confused about string gauge. i'll probably put on 10s but still not sure... i played for a long time on my acoustic on 13s i think in standard tuning so maybe even 11s...
Last edited by 666_Belial at Jun 28, 2006,
Go with the .10's

I have .11's because I ALWAYS play in standard D and when I tune up to a half step it gets as tight as an asian chick.

Edit: So now I just use a capo.
Quote by hourglass666
Go with the .10's

I have .11's because I ALWAYS play in standard D and when I tune up to a half step it gets as tight as an asian chick.

Edit: So now I just use a capo.

uhh, that asian chick made me want the 10s after all...
Quote by edg
Purple Haze is E Dorian (well Eb) mixed with pent minor. Near the start of the solo
in partiular is a descending dorian pattern.

No it looks more like an E Mixolydian mixed with the pentatonic minor
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
Quote by S0ulja23
No it looks more like an E Mixolydian mixed with the pentatonic minor

Well, that's a quibble really. There is exactly ONE note difference between Mixolydian
and Dorian and that would be the 3rd vs b3rd. I don't recall if Hendrix hits that
3rd but for sure he hits the b3rd. It's been a while since I've played it. In
any case, either mode would work over it. I don't have my book handy to say for
sure. Actually it may be that both modes are used on that first part.