When they get a lot of money, distribution resources, artists that will sell, etc.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
When they sign a talentless artist, but still make loads of cash off them...

For example:
Universal Music Canada - For signing that **** band hedley.
Probaly a good example would be the screamo/metal label Victory records.Now that they have many popular artist and are able to distribute them they are considered a major label (even though they probaly like to call themselves indie)
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
Wrong Forum.

But an indie label never BECOMES a major label. They can sign deals where they become a part of a major label, or they get distributed though. An indie label is started up by music lovers, I guess you could say, who want to own a label. Major labels are created by major corporations like Disney or Universal or WB or whatever. That's the only difference. Nothing to do with popularity, money, or whatever.
Quote by Muphin
When they sign a talentless artist, but still make loads of cash off them...

For example:
Universal Music Canada - For signing that **** band hedley.

hahahahahaha!!! its so true!!

personally i think its when they became buisniss (s/p) men instead of musicians:p