How much would it cost to get the Joe Satriani-like mirror finish on a guitar? Is it hard to do?
*moved*

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
well first you have to get the milk of a yehti, then the droppings of a camel, combine those, and add some silver, ur in good shape
There is this certant kinda finish they put on cars, it is extremely toxic and it takes a permit for a place to paint with it.

However it looks ****ing beautifull ! And it really does have a mirror finish! Try looking into that.
You could always send it off to be chromed. I mean, I have no idea about the properties of chrome, or whether or not it would adhere to wood, but still.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
Quote by poochy
You could always send it off to be chromed. I mean, I have no idea about the properties of chrome, or whether or not it would adhere to wood, but still.

They can even chrome rubber nowadays, so I'm guessing they can do wood too.
^Chrome is put in as a liquid.... It would most definately not adhere to the wood, Most likely, it would dissolve the wood.

I've got no idea... You could try something like aluminum, and buffing the hell out of it... Other than that, I'm completely at a loss.
Quote by Vornik
There's nothing illogical about slavery.
There is a chrome paint that gives a VERY shiny finish, but I can't remember who made it. Algee has posted it on here before.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Silver leaf perhaps? It isn't too expensive and you could just lay it down over some primer. Polish, polish and polish it like hell though to get a nice shine.

Would be very cool when you tell people that you have a "silver" guitar.

Edit - only £3.10 for a pack of transferable 80x80mm silver leafs. Here
Last edited by Jonnomainman at Jun 28, 2006,
chroming is a chemical process that eats away at metal to an extent so i would say to NOT try and have it chromed. they actually dip whatever they chrome into a bath of acid that eats rust off of steel so imagine what it would do to wood. but if you cant find glossy silver paint then just wrap it in foil glue it down and clear coat over it.
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Quote by Calum_Barrow
There is a chrome paint that gives a VERY shiny finish, but I can't remember who made it. Algee has posted it on here before.

is that the one with a long ass explanation/commercial thing? it was interesting... i liked it lol.
Duplicolor makes chrome paint.

An interesting note about Ibanez' mirror finishes is that any fingerprints left on them for mroe than a few minutes become permanent.
"The most important thing is to learn how to play the guitar before you get 50,000 dollars worth of complicated gear" -Slash

Not a member of any clubs. Don't PM me.
Go to ur local auto store and get chrome paint. It's intented for not so shiny car parts, but works fine on wood too. Although it isn't exactly satch's js1000. So take care in the painting process.
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
i did gum wrapper foil on my bass...it looks sick!

but i learned how to make a mirror finish a while back in material science and all it takes is 3 chemicals that are easy to find, one of them is silver....but you put a certain proportion of each(if its not almost exactly on the dot, it wont work) in whatever, shake it up for 2 mins, and whatever you had is now mirror finished! problem is, since theres silver in it, it tarnishes FAST so you need to put something over(such as glass) and to make it short, dont do it!

this gave me a good idea to make a mirror pickguard!

also check out the new esp/ltd guitars...they are completely mirrored!
no problem, ill have one up soon...i gotta find my camera first

i wouldnt recommend it unless you know how to take off the foil fast like eventually learned....cuz it took me about 50+ hours altogether
about 30 packs of 5 pieces of gum in each for the headstock and everything.

i started a "gum wrappers for jeff's bass" fund on myspace and they just poured on in everyday
Quote by darkinertia
about 30 packs of 5 pieces of gum in each for the headstock and everything.

i started a "gum wrappers for jeff's bass" fund on myspace and they just poured on in everyday

How did you do that? Is there a way to put a donate button on a myspace or something?? I would love to do some project in which people donate their money to buy MY project... it's genius, just like savetoby.com
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
Squier makes one with mirror pickgaurd, i saw it at GC one time and I could actually see my face in it clearly.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/2/3/5/276235.jpg

Also, Gibson has "The Century Series" which pretty much they cover the front with a mirror pickgaurd.

SG:
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/2/7/4/390274.jpg

X-plorer:
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/2/7/7/390277.jpg

Les Paul:
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/0/1/8/392018.jpg

V:
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/2/7/6/390276.jpg

But... as for your topic... I have no clue as to how you would do this.
http://www.simscustom.com/html/chrome_zone.htm
They can do it either as a wraparound(like satch's guitars), foil (not that great), or an accuall mirior top (like Vai's guitars) but they're really expensive.
My gear:
OLP John Petrucci Sig.
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Mesa/Boogie .50 Caliber+ 112
just to say - you can chrome wood but it takes a long time,

Matt Bellamy has his Bomber Manson

That is chromed mahogany - it was done in a rush though koz he wnated it for a tour so it bubbled - they airburshed on sum translucent purple in areas ot make it look burnt and then added sum rivets from a 1944 spitfire - it looks absolutely fantastic

Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 w/ Swineys
Fender Standard Telecaster w/ Duncans
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
we have this paint system at the shop i work at. very expensive compared with the other paints. first, we clear coat about 25 times, and while the last coat is still flashing (partially drying), we lay a foil type layer over it. this is why it's expensive. if that foil gets wrinkled or doesnt lay 150% flat, the whole job has to be started over. however, after we get it to lay flat, we clear it about 14 more times to seal it, either with clear or some kind of translucent candy color ( i suggest candy apple red with gold metalflake). anyway, it comes out looking exactly like a mirror if it's done right with clear. plus, if you scratch it, you will never know because unless you seriously drop it, you will never reach that foil sheet. it runs about 125 bucks a square foot to perform, but it's so worth it if you want it bad enough. it's only been done once at our shop on a ferrarri, thats where i got the suggestion of candy apple red. it looked amazing, and somehow, we didnt screw up.