What's happening. OK, well I have a few questions regarding the 3 channel Dual Rectifier of mine. Here are the things that have happened recently:

3 weeks ago: The footswitch was thought to have caused the channel 2 and channel 3 to go back and forth between eachother. The sound was that of a tremolo. I switched the ends of the cable and everything lined out. Cause?

2 weeks ago: At a live gig the volume dropped to where all I could hear was a vague clean channel sound. The wire to the footswitch was moved around once again by me to fix the problem. After a couple of horrid minutes, the sound lined out. Cause?

last week: Another live gig, we all realized it might happen. So I played and played for the sound check and sure enough, the sound on the clean channel went down completely. Channels 2 and 3 (distortion) worked fine. After a little bit of praying and tweaking, I must have put it in a "calm" position because it worked like a charm for the rest of the show (Thank God). Cause?

These things that are happening sem like two different things. The M/B guy told me that it could be a pre amp tube issue with the volume drops. What does this mean exactly? "Get new tubes" ? He said that the channels switching back and forth to eachother could more than likely be the footswitch. It is a 2002 model which I purchased off of eBay about a month ago. What uh... what do y'all make of this, besides it's haunted by the lead singer of "Nickelback" ? (ba-da-bing)
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Hmmm... I think it could be the tubes also. Since you got it off ebay, the person who sol it to you may not have changed the tubes. Or the tubes got damaged when you picked it up, or however yo got the thing from him to you. Also, the footswitch probably has a bad cord coming from it, or something. Maybe buy a new footswitch and replace the tubes.
Yea sounds like the wire of the footswitch is coming loose or something. That actually happened to a footswitch i had a long time ago. It was some cheap 2 button that i threw around and beat the **** up and needless to say I had the "switching" issue. It would go off just randomly changing between channels. As for the volume loss, that is sometimes an occurance of tubes. I'd recommend a full new set, preamp and output. I always recommend JJs, check them out.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
i dont think its the preamp cuz thsoe dont give u the volune, could be a power tube, but i doubt it becuse if your power tubes are dying, tehy woulndt just cut out, then come back to full volume. Maybe loose pots? **** i dunno, but i dont think it's bad tubes, but it wont hrt to change em though...
Thanks for the input guys. I went ahead and ordered a full set of power tubes and a new footswitch cable. Hope this fixes stuff.... Man!
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby