Page 1 of 3
yo what would be the best solid state full stack under a thousand? it would be nice for the replyers to have playing experience with the amp. i was look at the hughs and kettner matrix 100 head and i dunno wat cabs just a little advice.
"Im not gonna say anything inspirational... im just gonna ****in sware alot. -Billie Joe Armstrong
Well, I would agree with everyone else here and go for a tube combo (actually, I already did), but not to question your personnal judgement, I'd say that a Peavey XXL stack would be something to check out. It's geared more towards metal tones, but it's a decent amp. As previously mentioned, Randall also make great solid state amps. Here's a link to the peavey:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-XXL-100W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481356 (it should leave enough money to buy a cab and still be under $1000)
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
get a half stack dude....full stacks are pointless
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
damn i know what i want i just wanted yalls advice on nice solid state heads heads.
"Im not gonna say anything inspirational... im just gonna ****in sware alot. -Billie Joe Armstrong
id get a crate gt100 head (or somthing like) as a back up becuase its a real cheap head...its an alright tone and a pretty ok backup

remember BACKUP id still say get a half stack....i know full stacks "look" cooler but id say spend the money from buying 2 cabs and spend it on a better head.....but if you playing anything like SUM41 you dont need a good tone...just need to look kewl...

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
im gettin the half now. so yes i am concentraiting on the head right now. the randal head is crazy 400 watts wow lol.
Yea 400 watts for alot of headroom so it doesn't break up. And wtf, if you want one fine, Randalls are decent but you can get much better for that price. Hell you could swing a 5150 half stack...
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
I have a peavey xxl halfstack, I love it. Despite what people say about ss, it sounds amazing for alot of styles. i play in a punk band and it works perfect, but would work for metal, hardcore, ect... Has a great clean channel also, but i dont really use it.
The Roland Blues Cube is spectacular. Its out of productions, so if Musician's Friend runs out, good luck on finding one; it sounds like a Fender on the clean channel; a Marshall JCM 800 on the dirty. Amazing.

EDIT: Shit, I forgot you needed a stack. Oh well, you could always mike that one in the backround and build a big, cardboard "stack" to look cool. You could spray paint it and everything, and even give it a little cardboard head and cardboard mikes (made of toilet paper rolls, of course).Yeah, a cardboard stack would kick ass.
Last edited by MastaBassist10 at Jun 28, 2006,
^ Maybe he likes the sound, or doesn't want to deal with the wiegh or miantenance of tubes.

Most people like tube amps more, and a 2x12 tube combo should be enough for alot of situations.

If you really want a SS stack, look into a Line 6 Flextone, a Laney Tubefusion, or a Line 6 Vetta.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
^Line 6 makes killer upper-end amps. I myself am a big fan of solid state technology, maybe you'll join me in my club, threadstarter? I mean, electric guitarists have always been trying to get away from the hassle of tube amplifaction, then when the alternative comes, which can be just as good, we shun it.
^ what hassle? lol there is none...unless youre too uber lazy to pay 50 bucks to swap your tubes every 1-2 years.
Hey dude, just check out the Randall Rh200. 200 Watts, halfstack, $600. With the rest of the money buy another cab and its a fullstack. Nothing wrong with SS, unless your a complete idiot and use the built in distortion. I have the same amp, but its 1x15 2x12 on the bottom, and a 4x12 on the top. If your going to use the amp distortion, its going to sound like sh!t. Seriously, its not tube, so dont try it. What i do is, i run a EQ on the effects loop, and keep it on. Then run it through a Digitech DF7, best distortion pedal out there. If you just get the half-stack, with the left over money buy an EQ and a good distortion pedal, it will sound amazing. I garantee it. Heres a clip of how my stack sounds with reverb and distortion : http://dudeman.dmusic.com/ Im not that great of a player yet, but the tone sure does sound beautiful. Hope i was helpfull.
not to be an ass but

WHY WOULD U GET A SS AMP!!!!!!!!!! if u wanna look cool buy a tube combo and cut out a box and put some vinyl infront of it and get a marshall nameplate and glue it on...instant full tube full stack
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

you can get a behringer 100 watt head for about 300 bones

and two 400 watt cabs for about 250 each.

behringers have great tone for your buck.
Ugh I hate this attitude where "OMGF0RZZZ ONLY TOOBS" can make a good tone. No, you don't HAVE to have a tube amp to get a good tone. I myself prefer solid state too.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
not to be an ass but

WHY WOULD U GET A SS AMP!!!!!!!!!! if u wanna look cool buy a tube combo and cut out a box and put some vinyl infront of it and get a marshall nameplate and glue it on...instant full tube full stack

possibly he doesnt want to deal with a tube amp...you have to replace em...and they blow easy...id get a backup SS amp too..i mean..there reliable

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
^ what a lazy world we live in. You guys cant handle spending 50-100 dollars on tubes every 1-2 years? And waiting for about a minute to play thru the amp after you turn it on? Ive trashed my JCM900...seriously Ive treated it horibly. Ive left it outside over night on a foggy night...a few times actually. Ive left it in my car when the inside was about 120 degress. Ive bumped it, hucked it, dropped it, and rattled it more then I can remember. I got in a fender bender with it in my backseat (not my fault. The elderly shouldnt be on the road). Ive left the power on for about a week while I was on vacation...etc. etc. And the only thing Ive ever had to do on it was change the tubes. And in the 5 years Ive had it Ive only done that like what...3 or 4 times?
Quote by sumrocks
im gettin the half now. so yes i am concentraiting on the head right now. the randal head is crazy 400 watts wow lol.

Wattage does not represtent the quality of an amp man.

If im right a tube amp of 40w is the same as a 100w ss

So its highly pointless IMO but its up to u.

Big ss half stacks and stacks are just crappy amps that are LOUDER
marshall mode four, i has one and they're great great amps. no-one would guess it's a solid state man. i've a TSL100 tube head now and the cleans were better on the mode four honestly.
I used to have a gallien kruegger 250ml. It was about the size of a toaster oven with 2, 6" speakers. but i LOVED that thing. they pop up on ebay every once in a while and they're only about 250-300. you can use it as a head too. they've got 2 external speaker-outs with a 8-ohm and 16-ohm. they also have great recording features. I built a pair of guitar speakers out of 2 big stereo speakers by just popping out the bass speaker and dropping in a couple celestions. damn i loved that thing. and the distortion was really nice. if i could just record a cassette to my computer i'd post some clips.

I know $300 is a whole lot less that what you want to spend, but i just wanted to give my .02
Last edited by sethp at Jun 29, 2006,
he wants a ss over a tube combo....

God have mercy on his soul

WWWHHYYYY (the chanings tubes theory is bs)
Quote by TTHX
Ugh I hate this attitude where "OMGF0RZZZ ONLY TOOBS" can make a good tone. No, you don't HAVE to have a tube amp to get a good tone. I myself prefer solid state too.

Join my club!!!
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
^ what a lazy world we live in. You guys cant handle spending 50-100 dollars on tubes every 1-2 years? And waiting for about a minute to play thru the amp after you turn it on? Ive trashed my JCM900...seriously Ive treated it horibly. Ive left it outside over night on a foggy night...a few times actually. Ive left it in my car when the inside was about 120 degress. Ive bumped it, hucked it, dropped it, and rattled it more then I can remember. I got in a fender bender with it in my backseat (not my fault. The elderly shouldnt be on the road). Ive left the power on for about a week while I was on vacation...etc. etc. And the only thing Ive ever had to do on it was change the tubes. And in the 5 years Ive had it Ive only done that like what...3 or 4 times?

well im talking about gigging..like you really cant replace the tubes in the middle of a set.....of course id suggest a tube amp but i can agree on a good SS BACKUP head....

NOTE: I SAID BACKUP!!!!!!!!!!!

and man...your horrable to that amp btw...lmao

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Yea, and if you ever start gigging and you have not replaced the tubes in a while.......your in the middle of a song..........ohh about to throw in some killer solo..............<tubes die>..........."oh sorry guys we gotto stop, our guitarist has some crappy gear and it just broke." Seriously, the audience is gonna think you guys are some poor lamers who cant afford an amp....lol. Prolly 85% of the audience dont know **** about tubes and whatnot.

Oh and you cant beat the reliability of a SS amp.
Quote by Dudemandude

Oh and you cant beat the reliability of a SS amp.

Ive had several SS amps die on me at work for no reason in the past few months. Good thing the warrantees cover that...

Quote by numbfinger
and man...your horrable to that amp btw...lmao

that comes with the territory of being an active gigging musician!
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
Ive had several SS amps die on me at work for no reason in the past few months. Good thing the warrantees cover that...
Good soild states are generally very reliable.
Quote by j120strat
solid state.....what are you a jazz musician?

Do you know what the **** you're talking about?

As many others have said, why are you so set on a solid state stack? Have you tried a tube amp?
Dimebag used SS Randall amps, his tone kicked ass. Don't let tube-*****s push you around, it's all about personal preferance.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
Page 1 of 3