I have a marshall mg10cd and want to buy a new amp. i was thinking the valvetronix av50dt or whatever it's called. I also have an epiphone ( i think it's a g400) sg shape. However, i'm currently in a position where i'm earning enough money that i can get enough money for a new guitar, possibly a gibson les paul or sg. I'd be more motivated to save for a new gutiar so i'd find it easier to save £1000+ for a guitar than £300 for an amp. What do you guys think?
Does your guitar have a set neck, or a bolt on neck?

Really, as long as it's still playable, go for the new amp. Even if it isn't a G-400 and is a lower-end Epi SG it will still sound much better through the Vox.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^Well said, Xenn.

Maybe get the amp, then get a 700 pound guitar?

*BETTAR IDEAZORZ*

Get a 700 pound amp, and a 300 pound guitar?
The G400 (if that's the model you have), has a set-neck and a mahogany body. It's a fine guitar (a friend of mine has one, so I've spent lots of time playing it). However, you're amp is horrible. Unless you've been playing for awhile, I wouldn't rush out and buy an expensive guitar. The difference in tone will be very minor compared to the huge difference that a new amp will bring you. The Vox AD Valvetronix series are great amps, but if money is readily available, I'd advise getting something more along the lines of a small tube combo. Perhaps a Laney TT50 or something. It will be easier to recommend amp models specifically if you tell us what styles of music you play. But, to sum up the answer to your main question, deffinately get a new amp, and put more money into it than a new guitar because it will affect your sound a lot more.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Well. . .
My advice is always get a new amp before a guitar, but I understand your POV, why not save up 1300 for both at the same time? The wait will be longer but you'll have a lot more to look forward too (especially if its a Les Paul standard).
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
^ What are you saying?

MY point was, I'd rather sit in my room playing a les paul unplugged then play something ****ty through a nice amp. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Quote by Danno13
^Well said, Xenn.

Maybe get the amp, then get a 700 pound guitar?

*BETTAR IDEAZORZ*

Get a 700 pound amp, and a 300 pound guitar?

Yeah, I think a 700 pound guitar might strain his back...

BETTAR IDEAZORZ YETZORZ!!!!!!

Get a 500 pound guitar and a 500 pound amp!!!111!11!
Hi, I'm Peter
dont be a fruitcake and listen to these ppl, I have an amazing jackson guitar ok, but I have a **** crate amp, the jackson sounds almost exactly like a squier through that amp, hense i shouldve baught an amp first
I think danno got pwned again. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

yeah go with Danno

700 for the amp
300 for the guitar

Tis brilliant
Get yourself a nice valve combo. Something which suits your style of play.
My gear:

Gibson Gothic Flying V
Engl Screamer Combo
Maxon OD-9
Squier 10w amp
Quote by Dirk Gently
Yeah, I think a 700 pound guitar might strain his back...

BETTAR IDEAZORZ YETZORZ!!!!!!

Get a 500 pound guitar and a 500 pound amp!!!111!11!

ZOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGWTFBBQLOLLERSK8Z

BESTEST IDEAZORZ EVARZORZ IN T3H UNIVERSE!!

Get a 300 pound guitar, a 500 pound amp, and 200 cheeseburgers!
Get a better amp. Go tube if you can possible justify it. You're amp is where most of your tone is derived, even a bad guitar set up right will sound decent through a good amp, not so of a great guitar and a bad amp.

IMHO that G400 is very solid guitar. I might consider replacing pickups instead of buying a new guitar, unless I hated the shape or feel.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.