Hey. My friend, the other guitarist in my band recently got a half stack. Im not jealous of it or anything because its only a Line 6 Spider 2 120 watt head with a Line 6 cab. Im not worried about me not sounding as good or anything, but im worried about his power and headroom making me not even be able to be heard. He used to use a Behringer GMX210 which had 2x10 speakers and 120watts which would overpower my amp since my amp is only 60watts 1x12. We wouldnt go louder than my amp can handle, but his 2 speakers would overpower my one speaker. Now he has a 4x12 cab and head and I am worried that at gigs I wont be heard. Any suggestions? Maybe a new amp if I need it, but what? I would like tube, not too expensive though. Classic rock/hard rock sound. Not a clean amp like a Fender though because I can barely get overdrive out of it and dont really want to use a OD pedal with it.

Thanks.
You could get a 60w tube and it would be twice as loud as his **** spider. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by Danno13
Ok... so can you afford a Marshall DSL401?

I can afford it, but I dont want to spend that much, at least not yet. I just bought my PRS which was $2500 with $560 off. I dont want to just go on a spending streak though so maybe once I get about that much from working on addition to what I have I may be able to buy it.
Quote by Danno13
Ok... so can you afford a Marshall DSL401?

i second that. it would be a great choice.
xxx

my rig:
-gibson les paul studio (sh4-bridge)
-peavey valve king 212
-electro-harmonix english muff'n
-roland micro cube
-digitech digidelay
-digitech grunge
-rocktron hush pedal
-fender pedal tuner
I know, I always play the JCM2000 TSL601 combo when I go to the guitar store, but I just dont know about spending that kind of money this soon after such a big buy already.
How about Traynor then? I think they're around $700 for the 50 watt one, the YCV50Blue.
Quote by Danno13
How about Traynor then? I think they're around $700 for the 50 watt one, the YCV50Blue.

Hmmm Traynor sounds a bit more reasonable than the Marshall. But see the thing is that I know a tube amp will be much louder than his amp, but his is a half stack so wont it have more headroom and be able to reach better. A tube amp with be louder but if its a combo with only 1-2 speakers, will his still overpower mine?
Last edited by call1800ksmyazz at Jun 28, 2006,
you might could just borrow your friends gmx210 until you save up for a nicer amp
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Well in my old band both of us (guitarist) had Crate 120 SS half-stacks and my new JCM900 combo can drown out his half-stack with ease....so dont wrry bout that.
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
explain to me again why you bought a $2500 guitar, when you have a perfetly good guitar, but a sub-par amp?

what you should have done was not buy the guitar. I know it's hard to resist and all, but this would have been a much easier fix if you'd done the sensible thing.

I dunno, I guess I'm just sick of the kids doing daft things and then expecting us UG'ers to fix it for them, by finding them a 100 watt all-tube high gain half stack for $300, that'll put a recto to shame...

anyway, rant over, what's done is done, I say look into the traynor if you can stretch to that. Haven't tried it, but it's supposed to be good value.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
explain to me again why you bought a $2500 guitar, when you have a perfetly good guitar, but a sub-par amp?

what you should have done was not buy the guitar. I know it's hard to resist and all, but this would have been a much easier fix if you'd done the sensible thing.

I dunno, I guess I'm just sick of the kids doing daft things and then expecting us UG'ers to fix it for them, by finding them a 100 watt all-tube high gain half stack for $300, that'll put a recto to shame...

anyway, rant over, what's done is done, I say look into the traynor if you can stretch to that. Haven't tried it, but it's supposed to be good value.

I am more than happy with my PRS though so I dont care about that.

Quote by marvelboy_04
you might could just borrow your friends gmx210 until you save up for a nicer amp

Behringers arent great amps. My amp sounds better than it so I dont want to use an amp thats worse than mine just to get more headroom and wattage.
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
I am more than happy with my PRS though so I dont care about that.

i didn't say you weren't, I said you'd have been better getting the amp first, since you needed it more.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by call1800ksmyazz

Behringers arent great amps. My amp sounds better than it so I dont want to use an amp thats worse than mine just to get more headroom and wattage.

some times you have to...becuaes a crap tone is better then not being heard?
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
buy a small like 200 watt pa and mic your own **** during practices and small venues.
Tell him he's out of the band. Problem solved.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
Tell him he's out of the band. Problem solved.

I cant do that... Hes an absolutely AMAZING player even though his taste in tone isnt the best. And hes also a really great friend.
Get a splitter and use both amps at the same time. Won't sound great, but you'lll be heard.

You should also raise your amp on something so that it's level with his to speakers. That way you'll spread your sound more than if your amp is at your feet.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
tell him to turn down man, your amp should deffinately be loud enough. he doesnt have to be that loud.