1st are the two the same?

2nd what is the most "accepted" way to do them

I've been trying to play a couple U2 songs that have the left hand mute (like in Where the Streets have no Name) and I can't get the same sound.
try changing the distortion settings to get the sound with the muting... and pick scratching is when you scratch the plectrum up and down the strings to get a.... like.... scratching sound
I have never heard of left hand palm muting.

I assume it's just left hand muting.

To do this, just place all 4 fingers on the strings, but don't actually push the strings down.

When you strum, you should get a percussive sound (Intro to Voodoo Child or the chicka chicka in the Smells Like Teen Spirit riff)

Pick scratching is completely different.

Mute the strings, take your pick, and run the side up your lowest three strings.

Should make a cool scraping sound.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
only problem now is that the pick starts to move (sideways) when i go to left hand mute. If I grip harder then the sound isn't right. Any tips?
Are you left or right handed?

Cos I can't see why your pick moves when you left hand mute unless you are left handed

Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Last edited by frenchyfungus at Jun 28, 2006,