Ive found my perfect guitar, the RG1570, after getting some new pups. I was just browsing a possible future amp setup, and I think this is good.....

Joe Satriani JSX Head
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-JSX-Joe-Satriani-Signature-Head?sku=480114

Marshall 1960A 4x12 Angled Cabinet
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-1960A-4x12-Angled-Cabinet?sku=482772

Looks good, but it costs $2,000 in all

Time to start saving
So for my future dream setup, itl cost about $3,000 for the RG, new pups, the head, and the cab.

Im probably getting the guitar this summer, the head and cab sometime in the future, whenever I can come up with $2,000 at once.
What type of music do you play?
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
I play everything from Classic Rock to Modern Rock, and everything in between. I really like the sound of Satriani and Steve Vai.

And from the other post, what is the "6505"
i think marshall cabs are WAY overpriced. They are so ridiculous. Carvin is a lot cheaper and sounds great (but they dont look too great)
6505 is the van halen sig, well used to be 5150. The JSX would be better. Much more versatile.
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
Whats a good cab for the JSX? The Marshall one I posted has gotten great reviews. I dont intend to spend over $2,000 for this setup, so the cab would have to be under $700.
Carvin has 2 4x12 cabs for $450 (i really doubt you'll need a 4x12)
They also have a 2x12 for $269

if you play everything the Vox AC30 cab is $300 (2x12)
and the 4x12 is $500

Avatar cabs are supposed to be great too (and theyre cheap) $299-439

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

^I havent actually played an avatar, but ive heard great things from a lot of people
Last edited by JET116 at Jun 28, 2006,
I'd suggest you buy used - it might bring the total price down about $500...possibly more.
I could find it used for under $1,000 on Ebay or something.

What is a good cab for under $700, that will work well with the JSX?
And this setup should be good for any type of music?

I would try it, but the only place within an hour of me, doesnt carry Peavy, or Carvin hardware.
Carvin's cabs are very similar to Marshall cabs in terms of build and tone, but they improved every weakness of the Marshall cabs. If you're really wanting Steve Vai's tone, go for a Legacy stack.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Quote by pierce34celtic
Sound's like one kickass setup, I wish I had all that cash to spend like you. lol. Good luck with your purchases

Lol I dont have the cash yet. Im looking to use my money from this summer to get a nice RG, then save up birthday money, christmas money, and other working cash to get this amp setup in a year or two.
You are going to play and try it out first right? I mean you might not even like the voicing of the JSX. It's fairly bright, very high end and mid heavy, not much low end, at all. It's designed to be a solist's amp, and cut through the mix. Personally I'm not very happy with it now because I can't get a really good metal tone out of it but if you don't play metal that's probably not an issue.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
Well id like a very versitile setup. Something that I can use for a good tone for heavy riffs, as well a good sound for soloing. So I want something thats good for playing heavy, clean, solo's, and riffs. I was also looking at the Steve Vai head, which looks good, and is less money. Im wondering how that compares.
GO GET A X-100B, i know i beat this horse to death, and then some, but vai used an X-100B for YEARS before he came out with the LEGACY series...

I get a metal tone (sorta, not that over gain saturated sound but gainy enough to cover metallica...) all the way down to blues drive, classic rock and everything in between....

not to mention i got my amp CHEAP used, and it got soooooo much headroom clean you could put a giant in this amp!!!(some will get this joke, some will not)

But seriously i got my entire stack for under 1000 (i also knew the seller very well and he gave me a REALLY good deal) but ive seen the heads go for 500 or less!!!

Sweet amp, and an avatar or a carvin 4X12 cab will work.... TRY to get a matching carvin cab w/ the X-100B cus it has specially voiced brittish design speakers...( i think thy're made by celestion in partnership with carvin...)

Any way best of luck, ebay a Carvin X-100B, i GURANTeE you'll love it!!(if you don;t my bad...)
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
It's out of production. Go to some Mom n' Pop places that carry used gear. I found one at a local Mom n' Pop place that underprices almost everything (I found a barely used JCM800 for $1200), so if I can get a JCM800 for $1200, who know how much an X-100B could be...
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Well, which is better for the price, the JSX or the Vai Legacy head?

And how much does the cab matter? Whats would be the difference between a marshall celestian cab and a carvin celestian cab?
The carvin says carvin and the marshall says marshall....

The X-100B is an awesome amp... and i got my full stack for around 600...(i knew the owner, hes a great freind of my dads they played in a band together,) The owner was this guy named Elliot Michael from a band called Wayne county and the electric chairs, the police used to OPEN for hem, anyway he owns Rumbleseat music, there awesome, check the site!! (its www. company name .com((i get yelled at for advertiing when all i like to do is show the guys website off)) and hes ot some SWEET vintage guitars upwards in the 225,000 dollar range) CHeCK IT!!
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Well still nobody has answered, which is better for the price, JSX, or the Vai Legacy?
I would say that the jsx is more flexible however with a few pedals an the vai head youc could get the same for cheaper but its all really up to you and your ears!!
Mail Goes here.

Would I be able to use the Legacy extension cab thats for the combo amp, but with just a head?