I've been playing an acoustic for nearly two years now, and have recently moved into the electric field. I've been attempting to teach myself basic tapping, but i'm stuck. Does anyone have any good places with beginner's guides to it? Where did you learn?

I really appreciate it.
either punch her out with a brick......

or just talk normally to her....then punch her out with a brick

your call.

lol whoever wore the coat was like 'wtf??? this coat smells like humping!'
i learnt basic tapping from the last solo on "one" by metallica...
its pretty simple...
you play triplets using your right hand to play the higher note
its all about timing really
just focus on your timing
and make sure you get the hammerons and pulloffs with your right hand good and strong.
remember to try and keep it all the same sort of volume though.
some really fun but more advanced tapping would be looking at "midnight" and "a day at the beach" by joe satriani... you might want to look at that a bit later though... heh.
^ Kirk also uses his pick to tap in that song. I guess you could call it pick tapping lol.

Id also reccomend Eruption.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
o rly? im sure ive seen him use his middle finger live...
ooh yeah eruption tapping section is good... but the rest is crap IMO... lol
ooh and if you're into that sorta stuff, "roses for the dead" by Funeral for a friend intro has a pretty good tapping riff actually... I'm not really a big fan of their stuff but its a pretty good riff all the same...
I appreciate the help, but songs aren't really what i'm looking for. I'm looking for VERY beginning tapping guides (online), as in "Never tried tapping before" guides. Things with techniques and easy practice riffs would be perfect.

your call.

lol, like i said i learnt tapping from "one" by metallica...
basically all there is to tapping...
hammer ons and pulloffs with the left hand and right hand
you can use severall fingers on your right hand or just one
a basic e minor arpeggio played in triplets on the high e string for example where t means you tap with your right hand and h and p are hammer and pulloff respectively...

e|t19p12h15

repeat that as many times as you like and move it around :]
then for an e major arpeggio in triplets...

e|t19p12p16

thats probably the most basic form of tapping, work on getting it clean smooth and in time
thats all there really is to it
the same principle applies when playing advanced tapping, its just all in the timing...
hope this helps a bit
Yes, it is with the tip.

And eruption tapping is basic as it gets thread starter....
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Thanks again. The one problem i'm finding is that I don't have enough finger strength to actually make a sound hitting and pulling off the fretboard (with the right hand of course). Anyone have any exercises or ways to remedy this?

your call.

just practice practice practice i guess
maybe just hammering and pulling off with the right hand like maybe

e|t12p0t12p0t12p0

and variations of that i guess cause that would get boring after a while
but yeah the only way you're gonna get finger strength is to build up the muscles by practicing
its like when your left hand wasnt really strong enough to do hammer ons and pull offs
but you practice and you get better
thats all you can do unfortunately.
oh another tip, you dont need to take your hand right away from the fretboard if you plan on tapping severall notes, its more economic to stay closer to the fretboard instead of coming from about 10cm away or something like that, that makes it more difficult for speed. same with your left hand again, you can trill faster if you dont lift your finger as far off the fretboard
Quote by The way to hate
I tap with a pick usually. Is that cheating?

just a different style, really. I personally can't do it that way.

to AcousticManMan:
as for building strength, i'd say, try going through a scale you know, like maybe pentatonic minor, or even the major scale, and just hammer on a few times with each note, and do it again pulling off with each note. That's what I did.
Quote by The way to hate
I tap with a pick usually. Is that cheating?

Id say so.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Im gonna get chewed up and spit out for this, but the intro to Lipstick and Black (I'm pretty sure thats the name, might be wrong) by Atreyu has a fairly easy tapping intro, it was the first tapping I learned. Then i went on to Eruption,t hen One by Metallica, but they're all good for begginers.
Dickless.
Using a pick to tap is not in any way wrong, it's just different. Using your finger will produce a smoother sound, a pick will make it more choppy. It's what you prefer I guess.

I tought myself how to tap and it came extremely easy. If you haven't gotten it yet, do this..
put your index finger (left hand) on the fifth fret high e string (an A). Keep it there, and take your middle finger (right hand) and just tap the 12th fret same string and then pull-off. And if you make those two notes, you just tapped (very basically, of course).

Quote by Godderz_24

you play triplets using your right hand to play the higher note
its all about timing really

not necessarily, I sometimes keep my left hand on the same fret while moving my right hand to different places and sometimes I even move both hands so it's quadruplets.
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
I like the bit in Always With Me, Always With You by Satriani. And maybe you could try Satch Boogie by him after you get a while ago.
Quote by gregieb0i
wow that was a good video

Haha yeah the guy is kind of a dork but I learned a lot from his site when I was first learning.
using your pick and finger is completely different
for example...
satch boogie tapping section (joe satriani)
he uses his finger
surfing with the alien however... he uses his pick.
its just a different method of playing and they both have different uses and effects
generally if you're going for that smooth legato sound you want to use your fingers
and if you're perhaps using the tap as a pedal note like on surfing with the alien use your pick?
my guitar teacher said muse does a lot of the pick tapping stuff
i wouldnt know, i dont listen to muse lol...
Quote by imdwalrus
not necessarily, I sometimes keep my left hand on the same fret while moving my right hand to different places and sometimes I even move both hands so it's quadruplets.

ehh? i'm talking about basic tapping arpeggios here, and if you're playing in 4/4 you want to play triplets, obviously you can do different patterns... thats slightly more advanced and this guy wants to get the basics down first yeah? thats all really...
i do the bending the string with the left hand then hammeron with the right hand thing quite a bit too actually.

you can see this in "right side of the bed" by atreyu in the solo...

lol... atreyu... their guitarrists really arent THAT bad though tbh.