so when i'll tune my guitar, it will be fine playing the low notes, but when i go up the neck, each fret higher is more and more down tuned than the last. Wtf is up with that? How do i fix it?
ill check when i get back later...i have to leave...hopefully you can check back awhile later and help me out. thanks
Easiest way to check is by playing the 12th fret harmonic, and then the 12th fret note.
Note is sharp - move the saddle away from the fingerboard
Note is flat - move the saddle closer to the fingerboard
take it to the shop,have it set up right, you can get a complete set up for about $100. its like getting a tune up for your car. it should be done once a year.
i see...damn. i need money. i am in the proccess of getting a new guitar. So i think im gonna buy a new guitar then get money to fix up my to-be old one
ok so the frets around there are like at least half a step to a whole step off from what they should be and it doesnt seem to change when i follow those instructions. so either im half a tard or thats not working. how much do you think it would be to take it in and get it fixed
?

if ur moving screw # 2, the reading has to change. im guessing either its ur tuner or the way ur trying to get a harmonic at the 12th.
the only way it wouldnt, is if the saddle is somehow stuck or at the end, as far as it can go.
doubt thats the case on all of ur strings.

try comparing the open string note, to the fretted 12th string note.
its a little easier. if u can get those two readings close to each other then try the harmonic.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
ya i tried moving that screw #2. it wasnt working at all. and its mostly on the higher strings. i did what you said to do because i dont think the harmonic and 12th was working. and the 12 fret and the open were off by about a half note or so.

so which way do i turn the screw if the open note is higher than the 12 fret note?
just take it and get it professionally set up, it wont cost you more than 30 bucks, 100 is outragous, if you pay 100 bucks to have your guitar set up you're a fool.

Gear
Gibson Explorer
Epi Les Paul Standard

Amp
B-52 AT-100 Half stack.

from icepoint, if ur comparing 12th fret and harmonic...

-If the fretted note is sharper than the harmonic, increase the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.

-If the fretted note is flat compared to the harmonic shorten the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.

from project guitar, if ur comparing 12th fretted and open note....

Start by tuning up your guitar to proper pitch, now check your High E string tuning at the 12th fret.

-If your tuner shows that your sharp then adjust the High E saddle on the bridge slightly further away from the neck.

-If your tuner shows that you are flat then adjust the High E saddle on the bridge slightly closer to the neck.

Each time you move the saddle try to moving it only about 1/32", then of course you need to retune the open E string perfectly and recheck the octave tuning at the 12th fret.

that last part is important so i made it bold.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

^ wow. so?

u should know where ur harmonic is. if u dont then u try the open vs. fretted, until u get it close enough and then the harmonic (preferred) will work. ^all like said.

and i didnt mean that sarcasm for u. that was for the thread link.
sometimes i think guys talk Over instead of To the younger guys they try to help.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 8, 2006,
idk. idk whats wrong with it, dont think its the strings though. just how much to make whatever the F*ck it is better and make it sound good again
well if your going to get intonation done you might aswell get a whole setup which usually would get you a new set of strings. and the price varies from place to place
a set up on a non floyd, usually about $40 usd.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62