So, trying to solo...

I kinda got the whole idea of the boxen. The different shapes going up and down, pentatonic, major minor etc.
Still have some questions..

Can any box be used at any place on the fretboard?
The root noot, is the lowest note in the scale? Is the root note always on the low E string?

Great if someone could help..
Gear:

Ibanez V50 acoustic ( my first love)
Ibanez 442 RTR ( my second love)
Laney Linebacker Reverb 30Watt
if you move a box up or down, you're changing key. the root note isnt neccessarily always the low note on the top string, it depends on your box where the root note is in it. keep in mind a scale is a root note with a set of intervals, and the notes that come from that are all over the fret board. if you want to play E minor pentatonic, you could play your basic box in open position, or bring it up to twelfth fret. and every E on the fretboard would be a root note.
Quote by DisturbedOne88
So, trying to solo...

I kinda got the whole idea of the boxen. The different shapes going up and down, pentatonic, major minor etc.
Still have some questions..

Can any box be used at any place on the fretboard?
The root noot, is the lowest note in the scale? Is the root note always on the low E string?

Great if someone could help..

1. It depends on what you mean. if you mean, "can I move a 5th fret A minor pentatonic up to the 6th fret and call it A minor," then no, but if you mean, "can I move a 5th fret A minor pentatonic up to the 6th fret and call it A#/Bb minor," then yes.

2. No. There will be more than one root note in a box position on the guitar, too.
lets say I'm playing an Aminor pentatonic.
That's on the 5th fret to start with, but does it matter wich box I use.
Can I choose wich box to use after selecting the starting fret?
Gear:

but subsequently you CAN use the different positions of the scale if you want to modulate to a different key
what if you like moved the entire scale up a string, and went to the base note on that string, like instead of playing the E minor pentatonic starting on the 12th fret of the low e string, you started on the 7th fret of the a string, and moved as if you were on the bottom string, and didnt play the top two notes that you would have if you started on the bottom?
Well,

You're close
But you have to remember that not every 5th fret is the same as the open string below it.
The exception being that the 4th fret on the G string = open B string.
so you'll have to change that line and move it up one fret.
so instead of 7-9 you play 8-10

look at this and you'll understand:

http://met.open.ac.uk/group/jwl/scales/pent_min.gif

See how the box pattern on the 12th fret on the E string and the 7th fret on the A string are essentially te same, except for the shift on the B string.

This is true for the other patterns in te scale too.
There are only 3 boxes.

You can use those boxes on every position of the fretboard, granted you start on the root note (tis is not always true but in your case it is, since you're only learning the basic pentatonic scales)
and always keep in mind that the B-string is always a shift to the right
(or left if you're a lefty)
Last edited by Jules at Jun 29, 2006,
great, this really helped

thanks for the info
Gear:

i think its best u dont think of these things as boxes and think about wot notes are actually in the scales, and just use those notes. boxes will limit u a bit.
i need to get a better signature.
Quote by MATTTHEMOP
i think its best u dont think of these things as boxes and think about wot notes are actually in the scales, and just use those notes. boxes will limit u a bit.
You should know both. The boxes provide you with a nice way of playing a lot of cool sounding licks.
classical guitarists usually adhere to the notes themselves in relation to scales rather than box shapes...that's why i would suggest learning all of the notes on the neck, or at least the notes on the marked-frets (3, 5, 7, 9, 12, etc....) so that you can apply this to your playing...this will greatly increase your ability to improvise as well
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You should know both. The boxes provide you with a nice way of playing a lot of cool sounding licks.

yes, but they arent they only way of playing cool sounding licks. i think its more up to you wot you play, and trying out and working out new things for yourself. boxes are helpful, sure, but i dont think its a good idea to depend completely on them.
i need to get a better signature.