Hi I am new, Right now I find myself in the phase where I give up but I this is something I would love to go to school and get a major or minor in. Another aspect is that my friend has been playing guitar for about the same amount of time (4 years) and is already an incredible guitarist. So the question I have is, What keeps you guys movtiated and what keeps you practicing?
you could push yourself to become better than your friend that works sometimes...
Have:
Dean DOF w/ Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Pickup Set
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb 50w Head
Randall KH-120 Cabinet

Want:
Marshall 1960a Cabinet
yea if you were in a band too you would probably want to play more and youd eventually get better
Ibanez GSR190 Bass
Ibanez IBZ10B amp

Ibanez GAX30
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Motivation? With some people its easy: there are those days when it isn't work to go through your exercises and playing. You just have the urge to do it. If you don't have ANY days like that, guitar might not be the thing that is for you. That's no biggie really, it's a fun hobby and there is probably something better for you to focus your energy on.

If you find you do truly want to improve, however, and there are just those days when you don't feel like doing it, my best advice is visualization. The greats of any activity do this. Visualize what you wish to achieve, and visualize the steps that must be taken. Even if I am sick and tired of not nailing that lick, the thought of how I will feel when it has been nailed often can push me to do it. (Not that I am a great player, but it works on a lesser level).
Continually watch/listen to the music of your favorite artists. Think about why they're your favorites, why wou want to play like that, etc. That's a start!
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
I've been having some motivation problems as well, although I've only played for about 8 months but things are starting to look better. Like tonight, I just heard Hotel California for the first time (that I remember) and started playing the rhythm part. An hour later I still found myself playing and loving it more and more which hasn't happened in a few months.

One thing I've noticed that motivates me is company. When ever my little brother is here, I play all the time and it's much more fun than playing alone.
Thanks for the adivce.
You just have the urge to do it. If you don't have ANY days like that, guitar might not be the thing that is for you.
I do have the urge somedays and sometimes I am a bit lazy. I guess it because I am not learning anything new and my lessons are not going to start back up till July.
My only motivation is the love to play. Guitar is all I really ever think about, whether I'm at work or asleep or playing my guitar. I think I'm in love
Its how you look and how you feel
Quote by Jay_L
Thanks for the adivce. I do have the urge somedays and sometimes I am a bit lazy. I guess it because I am not learning anything new and my lessons are not going to start back up till July.

I'm like that some days too.

One thing that sometimes gets me through those times is writing. If I really don't feel like playing that much, I try writing music. I'm still using the guitar, but I'm not practicing, and it provides a nice break.
Just go look back at what you have learnt, play a few old tunes that you have loved. Remind your self how far you have come, and then go look for some piece of music that is a completly new and suprsing style for yourself.
That should help.
I found for a while keeping a kind of "guitar diary," helped. I set myself weekly goals (hours of practice a day, exersizes to learn, new pieces to practice) and then recorded each day exactly how much I had practised, what I had practised, and how much I had learned. It reaalllyy reeeallly helps.
Personally I don't like the idea of strict, timed practice. Setting yourself certain hours, excersizes etc. Routine.. yuck.

It boils down to whether you have the passion to play or not. What's the point in practicing if your hearts not there? The guy who said listen/watch your faveroute artists for inspiration is spot on. That's what I do when I lose the urge to play - listen to a bit of Tommy Emmanuel and your set!

htpp://www.olivergoldingmusic.com