i think its called muting the strings

but how do you properly do that when playing an electric (i think someone said its just resting your fingers on the strings

but when i try that i get alot of squealing noises

what should i be doing different? with guitar or amp or whatever
Soul Collector of the BassMilitia PM Dinkydaisy

Co-leader of The league of toxicity33, Kankuro, Dr. Gonzo Slash, DownInAHole, Synyster Gates, This End Up, and Neil_.

You should've used the Pythagorean Theorem, BITCH

BLALLALALASSISSIS *shank*
you're getting harmonics... resting more than one finger across the strings should stop this... but sometimes its cool because different points on the string will make different harmonics.
^thats palm muting

not what im talking about

that and will having distortion on affect this?

Co-leader of The league of toxicity33, Kankuro, Dr. Gonzo Slash, DownInAHole, Synyster Gates, This End Up, and Neil_.

well which hand are you trying to mute with ?

if its your right then thats palm muting....just place the palm on the stringe right berfor they go ove the bridge

if its the left..then just rest you fingers over the strings in between frets..not right over then
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by j120strat
resting your palm on the bridge is muting

Yeah resting the SIDE of your palm on the strings is Palm muting.
My Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Ernie Ball's Skinny Top Heavy Bottom Strings
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960A Cab
Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
im always muting with something,if its not my palm its one or two or three of my left hands fingers,somtimes ive even got my thumb hanging over the top of the neck getting his mute on.im a muting fool.
take ur picking hand and lay it across the strings (or string that u want to mute). ur palm should be laying almost where the strings meet the bridge. then pick some notes and fool around with how much muting u want. the further u travel from the bridge , the more severe the muting will become.
k well i just relaized that u were not talking about plam muting so my bad, but just muting a string or strings consist of cancelling the buzz of a string with a finger not fretting a note.
I'm assuming you mean your left hand. What I do is I know which frets will produce a harmonic. Ones that don't I simply place my hand over that fret. If it does produce a harmonic I palm mute it while muting the strings.
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
ok thanks for all your help

imdwalrus;s tip helped the most so thanks to him