I was wondering if you could help me with a certain technical problem I?m having with regards to live performance monitoring. I fear the product I really need no one yet makes. I?m finding myself in many situations ? especially playing big halls ? where I just cannot hear myself and engineers don?t know how or just simply don?t care enough to help me with their monitoring systems. Bringing my own amp on stage would solve the problem in many instances, but a lot of times they prefer that I give the board a direct line and they mix me with the vocals. I play electric violin, which makes no significant sound at all without electricity, much like the electric guitar. Now I don?t have a lot of money but I?m willing to pay a reasonable sum to someone who could design for me a hard-wire box that I could wear on my belt that would give me some delay and reverb in controllable combination that I could plug my violin into (the violin has the standard quarter-inch out). This hard-wire box would need to have two outs. One to go into just one ear (only one of my ears works 100%), and the other to go to the mixing console, preferably XLR but quarter inch usually works because most venues have direct boxes on stage, you know. Maybe it should have both. I?ve searched the web and all I?ve ever been able to find are the wireless in-ear models that need to be connected to the mixing console. This is not enough control for me. I want the signal in my ear first before any one else receives it. Could you or do you know anyone else who could design this/make one of these for me? It has been suggested to me that perhaps a headphone amp and a belt-sized guitar effects unit - which, you know, two units seems a bit too much for one belt to me, but, even so, how would I be able to give a dry signal to the house?
This section of the forums is designed for people wanting to ask questions about the site.

You will get better answers if you post your question in the Gear Building & Customizing section.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
That_Pink_Queen should be able to help you, i have a vague idea how to do it but i dont want to say becaus e i may wel be wrong
so basicly a diretbox with chorus and reverb with a build in ear moniter?
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
...maybe it should be quarter inch out. i don 't know. Is having both XLR and 1/4 inch too bulky? Another possibility - and I may be stretching things a bit - is to be able to give the house maybe the same effects but a different amount of dry. That might be asking too much to keep it small as well. Although its surprising these days how much they cram into watches...If too much then I prefer dry to the house, you know. I can always pass their dry signal on to them through an additional efx box on the floor.
if you only have room for either 1/4 inch or XLR, then just carry pone of those adaptors, so you can have either at a moments notice.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
This is quite easy actually. Use a Y splitter, and then build a small headphone amp. Hook the headphone amp up to one output, and send the other output to the PA.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.