i am going to be away from home and i need to know if there is anything i need to know about taking my guitar on the areoplane. I have got a hard case but i just want to know about ur experiences with taking guitars on a aeroplane.

I will appreciate yuor advice
detuning the strings might prevent the neck from warping, it may not happen, but it might happen as well. so better safe than sorry.

other than that, make sure you have everything you need. capo, tuner, slide, picks, and a set of strings.
acoustic or solid electric? id think that an acoustic would be more risky due to having that big hole in it. i flew with my acoustic in a gig bag and had absolutely no trouble.

onto the damage part that i guess i didnt get at first, i put my ag in the compartments above your head, and they offered me to put it in the closet. just ask them to put it in the closet.
Last edited by iamdawalru_5 at Jun 28, 2006,
well ive taken my guitar on an airplane before and believe me its not as bad as it seems .... most likely you will end up putting your guitar in the closet by the cockpit but if you are skeptical about that just go to the place where you get your bags check and have them red tag your guitar that means that it is the last thing to go on the plane and the first to come off preventing breakage..hope I helped
Quote by karateguy29

thin mints pwn
I heard that a Floyd Rose, tuned, on an airplane was a bad idea .........

In some cases (Or so I've heard) either the neck will warp, or the strings are all gonna break...........

So, just loosen up the wires baybeh !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
I've flown with my guitars many a time.

Just put 'em in a hard case, let the stews put it in the closet, and get it back after the flight.
Don't detune, it won't do anything. . .( and jenny. . . blow me!)

At every stage, if anyone gives you trouble just say "Well I was told. . ."

DON't let people put their **** on top of it!

(^The above all assumes you are taking it as a carry on. . . You ARE aren't you? An acoustic guitar without a flight case, in the baggage hold is a terrible idea, you are almost guaranteed it will be damaged, not to mention you'll probably need a humidifier. . .

BTW Aeroplane PWNS Airplane any day!
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
^no thanks. lose the attitude.

and where did i say u need to detune before a flight?

i think the guys only concern is possible temp changes. a hot luggage compartment, can mess with an acoustic. so can leaving the guitar in the car until boarding.

so carry it with you.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^Yeah, I think besides temperature, people are worried about pressure. And since plane cabins are pressure-controlled, that's no problem either.

Hamish:
Quote by hamish5178
( and jenny. . . blow me!)

who the fnck are you?

Anyways, be on the safe side...loosen your strings, keep it in a case, dont let people huck it about..things like that and you should be a-ok.
Well I'm sorry I've offended everybody, I was just kidding .

And danno, what are you talking about? I'm saying if you put an acoustic in the "baggage hold" the temperature does all sorts of weird stuff and the humidity can go to zero (I think. . . I read it in an article about this by some pilot dude). Not to mention you might have someones 90 lb suitcase on top of it. . .

Jenny, you pwned me the other day about the string thing, although that might have been different, i was probably high or something

I guess the only other concern would be. . .

SNAKES ON A PLANE!!!
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

oh ok hamish, i wasnt sure. and then i thought i helped u in another thread or something...

yeah, we kid. i didnt realize u were joking. next time toss in a wink. i wouldnt want the ug-navy to fire out a missle or something.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Dont the new airline regulations make it so that you cant take guitars carry on. Im going on a flight from sea to pvr and its connecting and i dont want 2 put it in the luggage compartment so does anyone know if i can carry it onboard w/ me?
i thought the new regs said no liquids as carry on. i suspect, u should be able to call an 800 number, find out for sure.

i doubt they'd consider it a problem, but i wouldnt leave it locked. they will have to check the case several times im sure.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Just got back from Germany you guys. . .

I had no problem at all with my guitar (I was on Lufthansa). . .

No one even seemed to notice it, on the way over I put it on the floor behind the last row of seats, and on the way back it fit in the over head compartment. (there were two different sizes, so I had to find one big enough).

It was so easy, that I started to think this whole "getting your guitar taken down to the hold" thing was an urban legend. . .

I was also very glad I brought my acoustic, because carrying an electric in a hard shell case through an airport (or Prague ) would have sucked. . .

So yeah, soul power, it shouldn't be a problem, (just don't bring any toothpaste, they took mine )
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall