I've recently fallen in love with the band fIREHOSE and have marveled at his amazing basslines. I know he primarily uses gibson bases, but slide heavy style and jaco like tone almost makes it seem like he is using a fretless all through Ragin' Full On. Anyone know if he uses a fretless or not>?
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Mike Watt barely ever gets mentioned in these forums... Now to answer your question I don't think he is although it does have a kind of fretless tone to it but it is possible, he owns a wide variety of basses and never actually sticks to the same bass.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Dude mike watt kix it listen to his stuff minutemen ITS OSM!!!
President is Man
Josh is Man
JOSH IS PRESIDENT

When a famous boxer from the 20's was asked "What do you think about Shakespeare?", he replied, "I'll moida' da' bum!"
And now he's playing with Iggy & The Stooges, he just awesome.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Revival!

Anyone know what type of amp he used in his fIREHOSE days? I know know he primarily plays eden.

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

I was just importing "If'n" when I read this thread. Im so freaked out. And, I was just talking to you on AIM.

Anyways, I was driving back from Boston yesterday, and my dad had "If'n" in the car. I listened to it and loved the bass work. I've yet to hear "Raging Full On" but my dad has that one too, so I'll import it. Right now, Firehose is one of those bands I am going to be listening to a lot.
In fact, in the song "Good Time Boys" by RHCP on Mother's Milk, Anthony says "he'll tell you 'bout the band called fire hose!"

He also used to be a TalkBass professional... he still posts on the site to this day.
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Weird...

EDIT: http://hootpage.com/hoot_bassgrt2006apr.html

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Last edited by Incubus_SCIENCE at Jul 2, 2006,
Another cool bit of good time boys is them sampling a Fishbone song ("ya got me bonin..." from bonin' in the boneyard)

Mike Watt has a very impressive mustache.

fIREHOSE is taken from the line in subterranean homesick blues.

Once you listen to Ragin', are the instruments as trebly in If'n?

Quote by crazypeanutman

Well, I can tell you right now that the bass is still just as punchy. But the vocals and guitar are certainly less sharp sounding.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
MASSIVE BUMP.

Mike Watt is the bassist that influenced me the most, i learned so much from him, music wise and much more. Minutemen are my all time favorite band (fIREHOSE a close fourth), I'm a gigantic Watt fan boy and all that jazz. But i was wondering something. Does anyone have any other fIREHOSE and/or Minutemen bass tabs? Not the ones of this site, I've learned them all, I'm working on a few Minutemen tabs myself. I've searched the end of the internets and found nothing. Anyone?
*looks over to other two fIREHOSE fans*
Such an underrated band..it's a shame there's like 5 fans on this whole site.

There's a few interviews with him on Bass Player TV. He's a very very VERY quirky and strange dude.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Well Doolittle, make that 6 people. I have been a long time fan of Mike Watt's since his days with the Minutemen. The Minutemen's "Political Songs for Michael Jackson to Sing" is still one of my all time favorite punk / poetry rave outs.

And yes Fitz, he's a character. You'd have to be to play with both Iggy Pop and Kelly Clarkson in the range of 12 month period.
Quote by CoolDudeMorgasm
Mike Watt barely ever gets mentioned in these forums... Now to answer your question I don't think he is although it does have a kind of fretless tone to it but it is possible, he owns a wide variety of basses and never actually sticks to the same bass.

Yeah he uses alot of different basses but the one he is most famous for is his un-reversed thunderbird.
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold."
Wow, huge bump.

I havent heard much from Watt, but what I have heard is amazing.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
He has used a Gibson Thunderbird, EB-3, a Fender P-Bass and a Telecaster bass.

All fretted.

And he had Madonna pictures on the Tele bass, btw. >__>
So an irishman walks out of a bar.
Last edited by Lobsterdeth at Sep 5, 2007,
The secret to Watt's tone:

Anyway i felt he was astonishing when he toured with J Mascis, besides that i never really listened to his stuff that much.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50