Ok, I've been playing for 1.5 years (which means I'm not very good), and I'm deciding to upgrade from my old Squier Strat. I play a lot of hard rock and heavy metal, and I'm trying to get opinions from experienced people like you guys. I've got about $1000 bucks I'm willing to spend on a new guitar, and I'm not sure what to get. I was thinking of some variation of the ol' SG, or maybe a Les Paul Menace or something. I've also heard good things about a lot of Ibanez, but I really don't know. Could you guys help me? Thanks!
Quote by Xodah
Marry me.

Quote by ..NEM..
Awesome nickname, awesome sentence under the nickname and awesome avatar. Awesome opinion too. And awesome quote. I like you.
if you've been praticeing correctly for 6-8 hours a day like me you prolyl dont suck
its from my experiance that a SG gives you more of a nice metal sound
whereas fenders are used for more like jazzy, blues. It works fine regardless.
But if you were to use all your money i'd go with a variation of the SG, or you could sample or brands.
Gear
Custom Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Acoustic
VK 112
Epi VJ
EHX Holy Grail
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Modded Tubescreamer TS7 -> TS-808
Strat Knockoff
hmm if u say ur not very good spend some on an amp n some on a guitar, id say an ESP with emg's in it, but a sg would definately be good, even an epi those are just as good as gibsons, cause a gibson sg standard is 1100
Well...my amp is some crappy cheap Crate that the salesdude tricked me into buying, but I'm going to be buying a Palamino (sp?) tube soon, so I'll get a decent sound.
Quote by Xodah
Marry me.

Quote by ..NEM..
Awesome nickname, awesome sentence under the nickname and awesome avatar. Awesome opinion too. And awesome quote. I like you.
Yeah, I'd suggest a Les Paul or an SG. They're both great for metal.
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
My friend's got a Palamino and I've used it before, so that's not a problem, so you guys are saying go with something by Gibson? Well, I do wish I could practice more, but I've got a lot of other things to do...I try to squeeze some time for practicing, but it's only like an hour a day.
Quote by Xodah
Marry me.

Quote by ..NEM..
if u buy a les paul for 1000 dollars, it either has no pickups, or no body, cause the cheapest ur gona get a les paul is like 2000 if that
Quote by evh77
if u buy a les paul for 1000 dollars, it either has no pickups, or no body, cause the cheapest ur gona get a les paul is like 2000 if that

Theres more styles of LPs than standards yano, studios, for example...

But go Ibanez, man, GREAT guitars. Awsome for metal youll be glad you did. Rg series is my personal recomendation, and they are quite cheap also.
look into some of the high-end epiphones, like the elitist series. not a lot of difference between those and the gibsons I hear, just price.
dont get an amp save up and get the only guitar youll ever need. you can always get an amp later.

id look at ibanez rg 's
Last edited by echofreak at Jun 28, 2006,
yah but im just saying cause i dont liek studios lol
epiphones and sgs aint all that great, go for a schecter C-1 hellraiser since you got the cash, or a more expensive ibanez rg, esp's are cool but you usualy gotta pay more for a nicer one. i honestly suggest you go to a local music store and try out all these brands cause we can all tell you wich is best, but only you can decide, everyone told me to get an sg too but i tried them out and even the thousand dollar ones sound and play like crap to me personally, and i chose an ibanez wich was 500 dollars cheeper and playerd better, but like i said to each is own, and watch out for those sales dude dont even ask for their opinion tell em youve been playing for like 10 years or youl get jipped
Quote by casualty01

btw, you're annoying me.

banned.

Cas-
Quote by evh77

Then get an RG. Better for both money, quality, value and way better for the sound you are looking for. The SZs are really nice too, if you are into the more non-trem stuff. Gibsons are overpriced, over sought after peices of ****.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Ibanez 1570. Around $700-$800. Jackson RR3 $500-$800.

The Ibanez is better IMO.

Edit: I forgot, the Schecter Hellraiser FR. If you are gonna play metal you will get into bands that use a floating tremolo.
Last edited by hourglass666 at Jun 28, 2006,
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
Never heard of the palimino.....you should make sure you're getting a quality amp though....there are poor tube amps too....

Palimino are Crate V series tube amps but they are the signature Palimino models. When theres a Crate V30, theres a Crate V Palimino V32. I have heard they are pretty good but I havent seen any to try.
I'll probably playtest an RG, SG, and Schecter then, and take it from there. I was on Gibson's site earlier and saw something about Les Paul/SG Menace Series. They seem like decent metal axes, but I'm really not the one to judge that, so...
Quote by Xodah
Marry me.

Quote by ..NEM..