I'm Extremely New At Playing The Guitar. What Are The basics or jsut things to play around with? please take the time to help me id appriceate it cuz i would liek to learn to play really well.
just for sure make sure you learn power chords they are so easy and most music is made up of them
My gear:
Tom Delonge squire strat
fender princeton 650
danelectric p.o.s. peddle
At first you probably won't be able to stretch very far with your fretting hand so
it's good to just play anything (even if you make it up) that requires stretching across
about four or five frets
Going to the Guitar Basics Forum will help. Learning easy songs just so you can get some chords right will help. I suggest Green Day for first time songs, that's what I played until I got more musically mature. Green Day uses power chords almost all the time, but it'll help you get aquainted with easy rhythms and will help with chords changes across the fretboard. But make sure you learn all of your basic chords that aren't power chords. Just type in "guitar chord chart" in Google and you will most likely find something. Welcome and Good Luck!
Learn your open chords, and a few simple power chordy songs.
Then try simple picking songs like stairway to heaven or something.

Then you should be able to figure it out yourself.

I think someone should sticky a list of first time guitarists to learn or something, because their is at least 5 of these threads made per week, and the answer is always the same.

If you search, I've done some more detailed replies to the exact same question.
1. Major and Minor open chords
2. Barre Chords
3. Major scale and all its modes
4. Pentatonic scale and all its positions
5. Playing behind your back
I would say just try to adjust to your hands. When you first start you usually rely more on your eyes then your hands. Try to get used to what your hands are doing. Practice playing the strings individually. So when you close your eyes you'll know what you're doing inside and out.
Learn some basic chords first, barre chords, Learn pentatonic scales and mess around with them, and learn some simple songs.
Green day, some beatles, nirvana, ect.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
Quote by L19L91L
I would say just try to adjust to your hands. When you first start you usually rely more on your eyes then your hands. Try to get used to what your hands are doing. Practice playing the strings individually. So when you close your eyes you'll know what you're doing inside and out.

Great advice....

I would also suggest finding easy songs that you can learn..... all the way through. This will keep you moving towards a goal and will help when people ask you to play for them (as you will have a song to play)

Good luck

DJ