If Sigur Ros, Radiohead, Coheed and Cambria and all these Led Zeppelin cover bands can recreate Jimmy Page's Violin Bowing technique (I think someone else did it before him as ive read)

What would I need to/have to do to be able to bow my electric guitar?
(Given that I already have a bow)

From what I've researched Jimmy Page has a special curved bridge.
But some UGers here were able to do it by simply restringing the guitar
in a special manner.

As for the Cover Bands, Radio Head, and "C&C"
I am not aware of their bridge as all the videos i see are them doing a quick bow
solo then going back to playing normally.

Any help is appreciated, Thank you for your time
Quote by jmag

God, you make a 5-year-old seem like master Yoda, as far as patience goes.
Quote by Snowblindvictim
If Sigur Ros, Radiohead, Coheed and Cambria and all these Led Zeppelin cover bands can recreate Jimmy Page's Violin Bowing technique (I think someone else did it before him as ive read)

holy shiit! i thought i was one of the only ones who listens to sigur ros....wow

sorry though i actually dont know how to do it
Originally posted by josephde
i feel like an idiot, so plz don't flame me, but is hendrix still alive?

Quote by orangecake
I incorporate shred and tapping because i am a technical player, not a simple guitarist.

The guy at my local shop is actually the "God of the Bowed Guitar". He actuallly made a website about it. You need a special type of guitar to do it properly. Bows cost like $30, so unless you're serious, you should buy an Ebow or something. He said you can do simple Page stuff on it with a bow and a mildly modified guitar, but to actually make it sound clear, you need a Guitar Viol, togaman Makes them.
http://bowedguitar.com/
http://www.jonathanwilsondesigns.com/
http://www.togamanguitars.com/
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
^ Well isn't an E-Bow more expensive than $30 lol?

Although since I know nothing about violin bows I have no idea which is ultimately the cheaper option: I'm just saying.
Let me rephrase, a cheap bow is $40.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
When I saw C+C (with A7X) he tried to do the violin bow trick, couldn't get it to work so he threw the bow in anger haha. Don't forget to learn up on violin bows, how to properly apply rosen, proper tightness of the bow, angle of attack, pressure etc. It can be tricky on the non-wound strings.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
Quote by Bryan52803
It can be tricky on the non-wound strings

i would imagine it would the wound ones that would give you trouble. the texturing of them would shred the hairs to pieces, and restringing the bow can take weeks. if you were going to modify your guitar to do this, flatwound strings would be a definite "must-have".

and i would advise against cheaping-out on the bow. good ones are sometimes troublesome and very delicate (especially violin bows). decent ones will probably be over $100.
I was referring to actually getting a sound out of the strings. It's easy with the wound strings, but the rosen is obviously needed for the others, but a good point on shredding the hairs. It's not horrible, but they will wear it down quicker. Then again, I've only messed around, not done anything long term so it may wear quicker than I think. All the artists mentioned can afford to have them restrung so they're obviously not worried

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
Quote by edwardthegreat5
Let me rephrase, a cheap bow is $40.

Aha, gotcha. I figured that must be the problem.
£10 for a cheap bow here.....

Get rosin, apply rosin and cover pickups with cotton wool ( like Jonsi does from Sigur Ros ) as I've heard that it can mess with your pickups.

Get a bow that'll give you the reach you need. Cello bow = big, violin bow = small.

If you don't want to spend money on the special bridge you could always raise the height of the strings by getting a blank nut and filing down the outside strings most, and the center ones least. This would allow single strings to be played too.
Quote by Sir Edwin CBE

If you don't want to spend money on the special bridge

Where can I even find a "special bridge"?
Quote by jmag

God, you make a 5-year-old seem like master Yoda, as far as patience goes.