I am a brand new player, this week actually. While poking around for an in-person instructor, I bought a relatively recommended DVD off Amazon for acoustic guitar (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000639G8/qid=1151552126/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-0991389-8332024?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130) to get started.

One problem I am having immediately, with the most basic chords, is that because I have probably larger than average hands/fingers, if I have to use the same fret for adjacent strings I have a hard time keeping buzz out of the string where my finger is farthest from the fret (ugh, I hope I'm even getting this terminology right). In other words, especially with the finger farthest away I feel as if I have to press quite hard or mush my fingers together to tighten up the space in order to get the string to sound clean. Also, my hands are kind of big/long (I'm 6'3", 220) so the most comfortable thing seems to be to lay my thumb parallel to the back side of the neck. It seems to keep my grip from getting too tight and I feel as if it's about the right place for my fingers to get around the neck properly, but once again is this personal preference or bad habit?

Oh I am playing a new Art & Lutherie.

I imagine the answer is simply to keep working at it, which is fine, I'm just trying to stay away from bad habits while trying to learn at least something. Any information or advice is much appreciated. I figure eventually an in-person instructor will be the best to help me out with this stuff if I can find one reasonably priced in my area. Thanks.
You said it... you gotta practice. Its purely normal that youre not comfortable with your hand at first, even if you had tiny little hands. keep at it and it will come more comfortable. Its just very unusual for your hands.
In time you will subconciously develop tactics and technique so that the problem won't even be noticeablse in time. If it is you could look into some custom guitars, though.
Quote by ysaric
Also, my hands are kind of big/long (I'm 6'3", 220) so the most comfortable thing seems to be to lay my thumb parallel to the back side of the neck. It seems to keep my grip from getting too tight and I feel as if it's about the right place for my fingers to get around the neck properly, but once again is this personal preference or bad habit?

You mean like this? http://www.learnclassicalguitar.com/images/Thumb%20Behind.jpg

That's how your thumb should be most of the time. I play some chords (Am, D..) with my thumb wrapped around so I can mute the lower strings.
It will just get better with time. Keep up the playing and stuff, and one day you will pick up a guitar and suddenly everything will be natural and comfortable! I sure very few people naturaly feel comfortable with the proper hand position when they start playing.
I reckon it totally depends on the guitar you are playing. If you're playing a classical/12 string guitar you shouldn't have too many problems. Either way, once you get used to the neck of your guitar (which you will - just keep playing) then you'll notice that you can fly across it, without worrying about big fingers or fret buzz.

props on your choice of guitar - I like Art & Lutherie - great begginers guitars.

htpp://www.olivergoldingmusic.com
Like the poster before said, it depends alot of the guitar.

I recently convinced my dad to try and play the guitar so i can show him basic stuff.
Well we quickly realised accoustics arent for him. He got huge fingers.

Yes it can be worked out over time and you develop tricks around it. But i picked him up a classical guitar and its way smoother for him since.

Not sure what youre playing on but i recommand you go to your local guitar shop and try classicals. Once youll feel comfortable on those, you can switch back to accoustics and such and it will all be easier.
Quote by Chips-
You mean like this? http://www.learnclassicalguitar.com/images/Thumb%20Behind.jpg

That's how your thumb should be most of the time. I play some chords (Am, D..) with my thumb wrapped around so I can mute the lower strings.

First, thanks everyone for the advice. I greatly appreciate it.

The grip is neither baseball-like nor the way it is in that picture. It is . . . how do I visualize this . . . do you know how some golfers use an overlapping grip where their thumb rests on the club parallel to the shaft? Think about that with a guitar but only with the left hand, basically the entire thumb resting on the back of the neck, thumb parallel to, and pointing down, the neck (i.e. not curled over baseball-like), with the fingers curled around to the strings.

I'm sure it's wrong, but it's comfortable and with the length of my fingers I can still get around the neck with ease, the real questions I think are whether it introduces extra tension in that hand or impairs speed, or whether it prevents my fingers from coming down on the strings at a proper angle. It probably does all of those bad things.
^-- i have my thumb in that position sometimes. it really depends on what chords/notes/whatever i'm playing as to where my thumb is. i believe that the technically correct position for your thumb is the way it is shown in that picture that was linked to above... perpindicular to the neck as opposed to parallel like you're describing. and as for having big hands... it may seem like a bit of a burden now, but once you get more advanced you'll find it to be very helpful. john mayer, for example, has really big hands and it allows him to do a lot of things that the average guitar player can't finger. keep working at it!