hello guys.. uhmmm im kinda stuck on what to learn... i know scales (blue pentatonic, major, minor, harmonic minor, pentatonic) modes (ionian, dorian etc etc.) and some arpreggios... i've been playing for about 1 year and 6 months. im kinda stuck on what to learn next.. can any1 help me on what to practice next i play like 10 hrs a day on a metronome and stuff. im into neo-classical music. can any1 help me on what to learn/practice next. pls be specific and pls add like link and stuff. ive already read all stuffs on lesson category and cant w8 for more so any1 pls help
chords?

btw... you seem to bee amrried with your guitar. altough I wonder how you have time for other things...
well yea like studying.. 10hrs in total.. XD im so eager to learn new stuff about guitar.. i already know chords and how they are made... thats y im kinda stuck i dont know what to learn next..
to bad. but keep practicing speed,technique,accuracy etc. you can always get better
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
i no into other styles i like the neo classical feeling. yea i can tap but its kinda tiring once in a while.. i loose timing wen im like tapping for about like 2 mins coz its tiring.
tilet lickin' gd
try playing a different style of music.
Try tapping, playing with a slide.
And speed things up, or maybe slow down.
Learn to play real slow blues with alot of feeling.
or if you do that. why don't you try and learn a few shred songs.
But learn them EXACTYL note by note.

Something else which can really help you develop is recording.
Buy a pod or something and record a few songs.

You'll be surprised of how much crappy things you'll hear.
The tape recorder shows no mercy.
i didnt knew that.. haha ok ill try recording myself. but hey can you suggest other styles of music somehow related to neo classical and also some shred songs thx jules
tilet lickin' gd
If you want someone who practically invented neoclassical
(or at least layed the foundation for it)

Try some Randy Rhoads, it definately has those harmonic and Phrygian classical tones.
But still in a good hardrock/'metal style of music.
Try something like mr. crowley to do some shredding too.

For real true shred, try some Paul Gilbert, or some Vai.
(bet nobody saw that coming)

I don't really know at what level you play.
But look at some of the early ozzy stuff with randy and jake and
that's already a whole lot of classically inspired music that can really be a worthy challenge to master.
thx a lot jules.. *looks for tabs* rawr! another 3 hours of hard work. well i dont find anygood teachers here in the philippines. they all suck... dats y i use UG for lessons. btw i learn good stuffs here.. make dat great stuffs...
tilet lickin' gd
Yeah I know,

i have a really good teacher.
But alot of stuff we don't have time for I just research it here.
Just look out for people who don't know what they're talking about.

Hope you enjoy Randy's music.
He's been an endless inspiration to me.

Peace and keep on rocking!
whoa its good stuff jules thx a lot man.. Dee is a great composition.. i liked it. but hey wat songs are good.. i tried Dee already and it rocks.. im not familiar with the other songs except for crazy train
tilet lickin' gd
Try:

Mr. Crowley
revelation (mother earth)
believer
Diary of a madman
Goodbye to romance
Flying High Again
S.A.T.O.
Suicide Solution

too much cool songs to name really.
But those are definatly up your alley
Quote by Jules
Try:

Mr. Crowley
revelation (mother earth)
believer
Diary of a madman
Goodbye to romance
Flying High Again
S.A.T.O.
Suicide Solution

too much cool songs to name really.
But those are definatly up your alley

I'd just like to add the songs sound so much better from the Tribute album. That is all.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Well there is always more to learn on theory. A really good thing to do is to learn techniques: tapping,legato, alternate picking and stuff like that. I thing which im starting to do is to record onto my loop station, i would chose chords(power chords in my position) and just play lead over it and that really helps ure improvisation.

Another way to improve yourself or if your bored is to start creating ure own songs or leads and stuff. Always practice ure theory knowledge even for warming up. Also when u learn a song or solo try putting it in another form or postion on the guitar. You can never know to much so keep challenging ureself to knew techniques and expanding ure theory.

peace out dude, good luck
Quote by ToiletBowl
i didnt knew that.. haha ok ill try recording myself. but hey can you suggest other styles of music somehow related to neo classical and also some shred songs thx jules

Classical guitar, of course. Symphonic prog could be associated with neoclassical.
thx mr.loomis_shred... i might try that transpose thingy.. like if the chord prog was like A C#m Bm and i were to transpose it in key of E then it would be like E G#m Fm is that right or am i wrong
tilet lickin' gd
yea i think ure right, the way i learned theory was by using a thing called the caged system but im not going to get into that to much. In your situation i think this is the easiest way to do it.
1. find out wot key the peice is in(if u dont know how to do that, search it there are many things about it)
2then wen u do that number the chords to there order in the scale, e.g if it was in C then it would be 1234567 and then back to the root. So when u figure out the numbers of the
cdefgab
chords u can use these numbers in any key so for example,

progression in C say the chords C F G. These would be the 1st-c, the 4th-f and the 5th-g in the c major scale. so then if u wanted to transpose that to any other key say D MAJOR then u would say well i used the 1st, 4th and 5th of the last scale so u use the 1st, 4th and 5th of this scale( d major) and the chords would be D, G and A because they r the 1st, 4th and 5th chords in d major. Now u can put that prog in any key.

Hope this helped u man, good luck
omg this will really help thx a lot man.. but hey if u were to play a solo from a song. what is better? play the solo from the song or improvise a solo? coz ive been improvising all the time and not playing the solo from the song.. but hey does it help me in anyway if i were to play the solo from the song??
tilet lickin' gd
Even if you play only one type of music learning other styles can help you alot, and get you through slumps such as the one your having now. Even if you dont like blues or jazz or rock, learning those styles will help your guitar playing AND your neoclassical playing.
Quote by ToiletBowl
omg this will really help thx a lot man.. but hey if u were to play a solo from a song. what is better? play the solo from the song or improvise a solo? coz ive been improvising all the time and not playing the solo from the song.. but hey does it help me in anyway if i were to play the solo from the song??

I would think so, it would proably give a better musical idea of how to approach a solo so that you can add that idea to your aresenal of how you approach and build your solos.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
ahhh so thats what they mean when they say feel the song... in other words its like singing where you get the hang of the rhythm and stuff... so that you could build better solos.. but again can you guys tell me some tips on how to find the key of the song coz its really tiring trying to wring down all the chords and like finding the key note... anyway thx for the help guitarsymphony
tilet lickin' gd
Next time, use the search function... countless threads like this are out there.
Looking for my India/Django.
If u use the search function u will find things on trying to find wot key it is in quicker. I'm not to sure how to do it but i think its got something to do with the last chord before u start the prog again. good luck
maybe so...maybe so young one.

Quote by Friggly
"But just PRETEND i'm not your sister"

Quote by dingmydong
I'm gonna start reffering to the female reproductive organ as the scarlet monastery now

Quote by ToiletBowl
ahhh so thats what they mean when they say feel the song... in other words its like singing where you get the hang of the rhythm and stuff... so that you could build better solos.. but again can you guys tell me some tips on how to find the key of the song coz its really tiring trying to wring down all the chords and like finding the key note... anyway thx for the help guitarsymphony

Anytime man

There is two ways I find the key.

I just go along the Big E string and pluck the notes till I've found the root note (which is the key) It takes practice to get the right one everytime because sometimes you might think it's in A when it's really like in D or something. Just gotta really listen what fits.

The other way is, if I find the first chord of the song then that usually will be what key it is in. In some cases it changes, but not a lot.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
Learn more theory, relative keys, intervals, ect.
Write your own stuff. It doesn't have to be fast, just write some nice chord changes.
Work on rythms, look up funk rythms, double stops, hemiola, (power of three over four).
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean