Page 1 of 2
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cLBI1fqKb3g

Check out the video.

During the intro, how did he get that thick, heavy, creamy and warm tone? It sounded like his amp breaking up lol.

I don't think he uses OD from his amp or the pedal, so it probably is distortion.

I have a cube 30w, which settings should I use, Tweed, Classic stack, metal stack or R-fier?

What should my gain be? What about my EQ? I have a 3 band EQ btw.
^ agreed, that guy has no tone, its just ****ty distortion with too much bass,

were they like, SOD wannabes?

go listen to some hendrix. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Tuning is right down to C I think. To get kinda the same sound buy a new amp! Or try Line 6 Uber Metal.
My gear:

Gibson Gothic Flying V
Engl Screamer Combo
Maxon OD-9
Squier 10w amp
why the hell would you want to sounds like THAT?
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

To actually answer your question.

He got a fat sound from having a fat amp. There are Marshall stacks in the background so I'm guessing they're using them. More than likely the gain is set very high and they've probably used an overdrive pedal to give it a boost. You wont be able to get the same sound with your amp but the closest way is with a good distortion pedal (like i said earlier Uber Metal should do it).

EQ wise set your amps treble and bass to max and mid to nothing. You'll learn one day that this is a horrible sound but I hope that's helped for now.
My gear:

Gibson Gothic Flying V
Engl Screamer Combo
Maxon OD-9
Squier 10w amp
I saw an interview of him recently (I'm not a fan, though) and he was playing a baritone Iceman. I don't know if he's playing it in that video, but it probably helps him get that chunky sound.
my music myspace!

Quote by cefasnacht
Quote by Dobzilla
I've never had peanutbutter...
wtf!?!?!?!
Daron usually plays Baritones i think, so he can tune to dropped A or some ****. I'd say metal setting, high gain, all bass, no treble, set to any treble setting on your guitar should do it.
Dickless.
His tone sucked in the first video :\

And he has his SG in the second one, so he isn't playing with a baritone in this one (he his in the first).
I didnt like them before and that just sealed the deal. Whats the big deal with them anyway?
Sounds like ****.
^ i agree waht do people see in system? they lyrics really have no melody and its just so blahh ish
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

Quote by call1800ksmyazz
thats not creamy... thats muddy. cream is good, mud is bad...

good one
MetalMilitia is pretty much right on.

But to the threadstarter the tone isnt horrible and it isnt. People just have different tastes in music and if that doesnt fit you dont try to sway him to your chior, let him be.

Remember different stroke for different folks. So dont try and pawn your elitist asshatism on others.
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
No, I am not wanting to get his tone, but I am curious, because I have been trying and haven't been able ot get his tone, and that is in complement with the thread name.

Well he uses Drop C.

I don't think he has the gear to OD, I have seem to get somewhat of the same sound by:

Bass 8
Mid 7
Treb 6
that was not good tone, and the words creamy and warm should never ever be used to describe it...

blahhh
i didn't hear a good tone through that whole thing, dunno what exactly uou were hoping for
50th Anniversary American Deluxe Strat 3-tone Sunburst
Crate XT120r Amp
Epiphone Valve Jr. w/ Jensen P8r
Boss DS1
Digitech RP300 MultiFX
I am not wanting to get his tone...............I have been trying and haven't been able ot get his tone

Yea, I really don't like that tone or SOAD, but that's just my opinion. If you like it, that's cool.
He used Mesa/Boogie Dual or Triple Rectos during that time. ITs very hard to get a tone like that, even with a "Rectifier" amp model...
Well, if you wanna get a tone NEAR the one he used on the Toxicity record, here's what you need:

Some kind of all tube Marshall (he uses a Mode-Four and a modded JMP-100)
HOT humbuckers (he's got some kind of Duncans in the Iceman)
Those settings : Bass : 10
Mid : 3
Trebble : 7
Presence : 6
Gain : I put mine at around 4, but it's just personal choice. He probably puts his on like, 7.

I nearly have the same tone as he gets on Toxicity using those settings.
Quote by hamish5178

that is sod
^^ hhaha...and its SOAD
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
I am still curious on how to get that tone with a cube 30w.

It sounded like his amps breaking up and i think the tone is pretty interesting. I thought that was one of the most intense performances ever.

Well there is tweed, classic stack, metal stack and r-fier setting on my amp. Which one and what's my EQ? i think there are lots of low mids and little high mids..
ok heres what you do Bass:8 Treble:6 Mid:2 Presence:5 or 6 Crank the volume and gain of your amp to like 8 or 9 and youll get something simmilar assuming your amp doesnt start breaking up and clipping like crazy. You really need a tube amp to get that tone because hes making his amps break up by cranking the **** out of them thats pretty much impossible to do on a solid state.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
that's why I don't like System Of A Down.

Tune down to Drop B or something, turn up da bass, treble low, mid normal or something.
Oh and use your guitars tone control to go even bassier.
ARGH!!!1!one!1!

ok, so how can i get this thick, creamy, warm, milky distortion out of my amp?

Cube 30W PLEASE.
That"s Not Warm!!

that's metal!
\m/
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

Quote by hamish5178

SOD wannabes? That is System of a Down...

And I would just point out that the sound quality on this clip seems sub par, and what is with all the bashing? If thats the sound you want to get, who are you people to say 'NO NO THAT PARTICULAR SOUND IS BAD!!' All sound is just sound so don't discriminate just because you don't like that particular tone.

I'm going to allow myself an unrelated rant:

How can you call yourself a musician when you say that that tone is right and this tone is wrong? Saying 'thats not cream thats mudd!' is stupid as hell. Thats like saying "Oh yeah I mean that damn Jimi Hendrix guy, that wasn't tone that was escalator!" The tone System uses is the tone they want to get because they like the sound of it and accusing the tone of being 'bad' is...well stupid. If Vai or Satriana played in that exact same tone you'd all be saying "Oh my oh my I wish I could make that sound they are Gods!!" so shut up about your damn "pile of dog sh1t!" tone.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Last edited by Vornik at Jul 28, 2006,
Quote by Invictious
ARGH!!!1!one!1!

ok, so how can i get this thick, creamy, warm, milky distortion out of my amp?

Cube 30W PLEASE.

No offense, but those are antonyms of what describes SOAD's tone. Maybe the BASS, but not the guitar.

Sounds like he's playing with a lot of volume... maybe its cause its overdriven? I really have no idea.
my music myspace!

Quote by cefasnacht
Quote by Dobzilla
I've never had peanutbutter...
wtf!?!?!?!
Quote by demea
I didnt like them before and that just sealed the deal. Whats the big deal with them anyway?
Sounds like ****.

I agree... Everyone raves about them, but they never did anything for me, and it was torture (again... for me) to sit through any of their songs. lol
Page 1 of 2