Being new I noticed a problem with my practicing. I tense up, really really badly. Not so much on the left hand but the right. I end up after a few fast notes clutching the pick so hard my knuckles are white and my forearm is rigid making it impossible for me to play a long fast sequence. Assuming others here have or do suffer similar problems how do you sort it?

Will this tension ease over time or should I start doing some excersizes to reduce it now?
Stretching, massages - just general warm up and a clear mind work for me, before I start practicing.

And no, the tension won't ease over time unless you start to get rid of it. Once you start practicing when you're tense and don't realise it, it sticks with you. You don't know it's there because you're used to it, but it's there.

Just 'relax' - you know? There's no excercises you can do to relax, really. It's just about relaxing, and not being tense.

I wouldn't know how to explain relaxing - it's something you just do. You know?

Relaxing is a mental thing - you unlock it by having awareness of how your muscles feel and what they tell you - when you know it's there, you can 'un-lock' it.

It's hard to explain in words.

I recommend the Guitar Principles book.

*Waits for edg*
Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Jun 29, 2006,
Actually i have to disagree, the tension does ease over time, seriously the more you play the more the various muscles and flexibility in your arm will improve, whenever you try something new you'll tense up for the first while but once your hand gets used to the movements and regonises the actions your carrying out, it will loosen up and feel more relaxed. Only advice really is to take it easy and just practice, gradually building it up and then the tension should improve and you'll relax.
All I can really is say is loosen up your grip and clear your mind. Play lightly instead of hard. Playing too hard can tense you up.
Or, if nothing else works, smoke a joint before jammin.

But yea, just be cool and relax, tension makes you play like sh*t.
p.s. avoid getting too agressive or putting too much stress on your hand, arm, wrist, etc. It is very easy to develop repetitive strain injury, and that'll stop you playing for quite a while trust me.
Oh, and breath normally. Your probably holding your breath often when you get crispy.
Quote by Scrate
Actually i have to disagree, the tension does ease over time, seriously the more you play the more the various muscles and flexibility in your arm will improve, whenever you try something new you'll tense up for the first while but once your hand gets used to the movements and regonises the actions your carrying out, it will loosen up and feel more relaxed. Only advice really is to take it easy and just practice, gradually building it up and then the tension should improve and you'll relax.

Eh, no.

The tension doesn't ease over time, you become used to it and over time don't realise it's there. But it is.

You're just talking about getting used to certain movements, not much to do with unnecessary tension.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Scrate

Maybe you're speaking from experience, but tension will go away much faster if you watch for it and conciously correct it. Tension is a large part of going from a intermediate player to a more advanced.

I also recommend the 'guitar principles' by everybodies friend Jamie. Its a good book for tension and the like.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
well, i think its best if u had a drink b4 (non or alcoholic, i have non-alcoholic lol) also start of with a few warm up excersises. like playin 1,2,3,4 on the top e string then moving down to the a and so on. u shud have a loose grip on the guitar, dont hold too oight, and if u find u r then just let go and stop practisin 4 like 10mins and then come bak to it. also with time and practise ukll find u can relax a lot quicker.
just rock on man
Quote by Johnljones7443
Stretching, massages - just general warm up and a clear mind work for me, before I start practicing.

And no, the tension won't ease over time unless you start to get rid of it. Once you start practicing when you're tense and don't realise it, it sticks with you. You don't know it's there because you're used to it, but it's there.

Just 'relax' - you know? There's no excercises you can do to relax, really. It's just about relaxing, and not being tense.

I wouldn't know how to explain relaxing - it's something you just do. You know?

Relaxing is a mental thing - you unlock it by having awareness of how your muscles feel and what they tell you - when you know it's there, you can 'un-lock' it.

It's hard to explain in words.

I recommend the Guitar Principles book.

*Waits for edg*

and how to stretch right hand? and actually this situation also happen to me right now, although i have very relaxing but the picking accuracy doesnt come...

My situation:
Before that i play very fast chord progression song which use fast up-down strum (withou using pick), then when i try to play solo to sweet child o mine (fast lick, and then use a pick), i got my picking hand like going to fly, too fast moving and cant control normally... and this decrease my accuracy... and miss a lot of note. And how to solve this situation please? thank you
I'm only a beginner but i have played with my band over 1000 ppl at once. (I'm 15 and live in a small town) when i started i use to get very tense as well but after my first gig (800 ppl) after hearing ppl clapping for you it makes future playing guitar less tense and u feel more confident about yourself. What i reckon is try and get a band or even go a solo act and play something the best u can in front of a S*** load of ppl and the ppl will most likely clap if they dont clap they are snobs and do not respect musicians for what they do. So if they clap excellent if they don't clap sont worry bout it because it was probably good but they are probably snobs.

i know someones gonna argue me on this but its just my opinion.
[ >>>] JONNO [<<< ]
Quote by LrIeYhAmNiA
and how to stretch right hand? and actually this situation also happen to me right now, although i have very relaxing but the picking accuracy doesnt come...

My situation:
Before that i play very fast chord progression song which use fast up-down strum (withou using pick), then when i try to play solo to sweet child o mine (fast lick, and then use a pick), i got my picking hand like going to fly, too fast moving and cant control normally... and this decrease my accuracy... and miss a lot of note. And how to solve this situation please? thank you

You stretch your right hand like you'd stretch any other muscle. You should stretch both your arms, hands, shoulder, thumbs and fingers and then massage them to attract more blood flow - it keeps your muscles nice and limber, free and relaxed.

Chances are you're having that problem because you're not breaking it down and practicing it, you're just playing it. Sit down and play it slowly with a metronome (or use the GuitarPro/PowerTab file if you have it) at a pace where you can hit every single note as clean as the last and drum it into your muscle memory.

Concentrate on your fingers and wrist and let them speak to you - you have to be aware of what your fingers/wrist/shoulders/mind/body/everything is doing. Only through awareness of what you're doing can you achieve relaxation and effortless technique.