I got some Ernie Ball Regular Slinky strings for my guitar, because two of the old ones snapped and were all generally worn out.

Thing is, now I have these new strings on, my fingertips are hurting, just like they used to when I first played.

Is this normal, because maybe it's because they're different materials, but I just wanted to check to make sure im not crazy.
Quote by ghostmouse859
youre not crazy, just a beginner.

Heh.
I've been playing my guitar for nearly 8 months now, so I thought I was crazy.
A year before that I was playing acoustic casually.

I've already got calluses, and that made me wonder why it started to hurt again.
These new strings are nickel wound, but I have no idea what the old strings were made of. I just hoped it was due to the change in material.
Were the old ones like, nylon?

or gut?

LOL
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by hamish5178
Were the old ones like, nylon?

or gut?

LOL

Lmao, they were definately not gut.

I think they must have been nylon, because they sounded very much like nylon.

So im assuming that the reason i need more calluses is because nickel is harder than nylon?

It might seem a silly question but please put me out of my misery, while I type this with aching fingertips.

Quote by azn_guitarist25
what guitar are the new strings on

It's one of those crappy Fender Stratocaster rip offs that everyone has.
lol u r a n00b!!!! nylon on an electric? he said it's regular slinkys so it's electric.
strat player forever.
I switched to Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies about 2 months ago and I never had any problems. I've been playing for nearly 4 years though.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Quote by mccabe24
The new strings you put on might be heavier than your old ones. What gauges are you using now and what did you use before?

I don't know what the previous gauges were, because the strings came already attached to the guitar when I got the package. The new gauges are 10, 13, 17, 26, 36, 46.

I'm guessing theyre probably a bit thicker then the old ones.
Quote by GuitarBoy-IL
lol u r a n00b!!!! nylon on an electric? he said it's regular slinkys so it's electric.

Lol I don't know what the strings were!
Nylon strings are clear, they look like plastic. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Quote by DanAbnormal
Lol I don't know what the strings were!

If the new strings are only 10's then they definately aren't much thicker if at all than the old ones. Your old strings couldn't have been nylon because your pickups are magnetic and so they wouldn't pick up any sound from them.

I don't know why this would be happening to you, maybe you just have been playing more lately and not really noticed? I wouldn't worry about it unless it continues to be an issue.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Quote by DanAbnormal
I don't know what the previous gauges were, because the strings came already attached to the guitar when I got the package. The new gauges are 10, 13, 17, 26, 36, 46.

I'm guessing theyre probably a bit thicker then the old ones.

That's isn't really a thick set of strings, so it couldn't of made a big difference. If it hurts to bend the strings, you might want to go down to a guitar shop and find a guitar with a scalloped fretboard. Ritchie Blackmore and Yngwie Malmsteen both use one because it makes bending, fingering and vibrato easier.
Quote by mccabe24
That's isn't really a thick set of strings, so it couldn't of made a big difference. If it hurts to bend the strings, you might want to go down to a guitar shop and find a guitar with a scalloped fretboard. Ritchie Blackmore and Yngwie Malmsteen both use one because it makes bending, fingering and vibrato easier.

yeh, but getting used to it is different
^dude, CHILL

Hes been playing for 8 months and you want him to buy a guitar with a scalloped fretboard?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Quote by mccabe24

I think that's too drastic.

What I'm saying is that my old strings snapped about a month ago, and I didn't get new ones until two days ago. In between these times, I didn't just stop playing. I played with my acoustic from time to time.

What I was wondering was whether it's because the change of strings affected my fingers, or maybe I hadn't played enough.

I don't find it difficult bending altogether. I always do it. It's just now these new strings are bringing up more calluses and I don't know why they hurt again.
DanAbnormal : well you didn't tell us they broke a month ago! Its becuase you didn't play much during the intermitant period. You'll probably be fine in a few days.

I've been playing for about 3 years and 2 weeks ago I had to learn this fairly difficult acoustic instrumental for my guitar exam, but I only had 4 days to do it. So obviously I played way more acoustic than I normally do - like 6 + hours a day for all 4 days, plus regular playing. After the second day my finger tips were hurting but it was becuase it was more acoustic playing ( I regularly playing more electric). Anyways, long story short it was worth it (I got a 97% ) and it happens to everyone.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Quote by iain4444
DanAbnormal : well you didn't tell us they broke a month ago! Its becuase you didn't play much during the intermitant period. You'll probably be fine in a few days.

Heh, I didn't think that would matter, as I played my acoustic inbetween to keep it acustomed. Obviously didn't work!

Quote by iain4444
I've been playing for about 3 years and 2 weeks ago I had to learn this fairly difficult acoustic instrumental for my guitar exam, but I only had 4 days to do it. So obviously I played way more acoustic than I normally do - like 6 + hours a day for all 4 days, plus regular playing. After the second day my finger tips were hurting but it was becuase it was more acoustic playing ( I regularly playing more electric). Anyways, long story short it was worth it (I got a 97% ) and it happens to everyone.

Thanks for reasurring me. Im a bit of a newbie at different types of strings. Well done on your exam too