O.K because of the other thread I was wondering on what makes a riff Metal or what makes a riff Nu-Metal for all you open minded people out there, I was thinking that Nu-Metal riffs are more simple and powerchord based while Metal riffs are more complex but then again some thrash metal is based around powerchords, I just want some clarification, please dont turn this into a flame war

Thanx =]
its not just down to the riff i dont think, the tone and feel of the peice is are points as well, also the relationship between the different instruments, vocals, tmepos and timings.... yer er its not just the riff lol...
It isn't just the riff that makes it metal or nu-metal, but nu-metal riffs are simple, drop-tuned and very similar to most others.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
^ ****?

Hard rock with an overuse of drop tuning, bad angsty singing, bad angsty lyrics, overuse of octave notes (I'M ****ING LOOKING AT YOU GODSMACK), lots of pinch harmonics to attempt to sound cool, and you must cover a real metal song, but do it very badly, and don't do the solo.
hip hop influences. angst-driven lyrics. yada yada yada bladdy fricken blah.
¤¤¤¤¤ ۩ ۝РЄŦĤ ۩ ¤¤¤¤¤
۩ ВŁĄÇĶŴĄŦЄŖ РĄŖĶ ۩

Quote by deadskinmask
I think you should listen to Bodom_Shredder7.

Quote by xolax
Listen to Bodom_Shredder, he knows what hes talking about

Quote by Alucard II
Bodom Shredder was right

SevenLastWordsOfChrist
Quote by spike101
Ok scrap that then, what would be YOUR classification for Nu-Metal?

If it has a noticeable hip-hop influence (either in vocals, rythms, or otherwise), it's nu-metal.
Who cares. You can just tell, you don't need to describe it to the noobs.

Go back to germania.
Quote by spike101
Ok scrap that then, what would be YOUR classification for Nu-Metal?

Metal-influenced hard rock with easily recognizable electronic and/or rap influences. General use of drop tunings, simple drum patterns, bass part generally mirrors guitar.

Lyrics are usually angsty, vocals are often rapped. Little to no gutiar solos.
One thing I notice about Nu-Metal is that the bands often have little quirks (often ethnic).

For example, Korn has their bag pipes, El Nino has their latin percussion and SOAD has their Armenian influences (and sometimes instrumentation). While metal isn't devoid of this (i.e. Sepultera) it seems to be especially prevalent in Nu-Metal.

Also the lack of guitar solos is beginning to no longer be a defining factor between Nu-Metal and Metal, with Disturbed, Slipknot and SOAD begining to incorperate solos into their music (most likely due to modern trends in music moving towards the use of solos).
Quote by Spynal

Man, if only we could have a thread dedicated to recommendations, that would be sweet. Maybe, we could call it ... The Hugfest .... no, that's no good? Metal-O-Rama? Nah.... oh wait.

I've got it...
The Official Metal Recommendation Thread
Quote by Ktulu Master
One thing I notice about Nu-Metal is that the bands often have little quirks (often ethnic).

For example, Korn has their bag pipes, El Nino has their latin percussion and SOAD has their Armenian influences (and sometimes instrumentation). While metal isn't devoid of this (i.e. Sepultera) it seems to be especially prevalent in Nu-Metal.

There are thousands of metal bands that do that. You have listed 3 nu-metal bands.
Quote by Rakoro
^ ****?

Hard rock with an overuse of drop tuning, bad angsty singing, bad angsty lyrics, overuse of octave notes (I'M ****ING LOOKING AT YOU GODSMACK), lots of pinch harmonics to attempt to sound cool, and you must cover a real metal song, but do it very badly, and don't do the solo.

godsmack are ok. but good description actually.
Quote by VomitalXX
There are thousands of metal bands that do that. You have listed 3 nu-metal bands.

Thats true, with Finntroll and thier Polkas being a prime example.

The point I was trying to get across is that almost every Nu-Metal band has their on little quirk that they try to get across (e.g. POD: "We're Christian, lol", Linkin Park: "We're manufactured and whiney, lol!", Static-X: "We're industrial and gothic!"), pretending that they're original and different when really they're slight variations on the same formula.

I said 'often ethnic' because that is the way I percive it, especially with a lot of the more popular Nu-Metal bands (such as my three examples) getting quite a bit of airtime on Kerrang and Scuzz.

Of course a lot of metal bands have ethnic influences, such as Nile and Amon Amarth, but that often isnt a defining feature of their genres (with the possible exception of Black Metal).
Quote by Spynal

Man, if only we could have a thread dedicated to recommendations, that would be sweet. Maybe, we could call it ... The Hugfest .... no, that's no good? Metal-O-Rama? Nah.... oh wait.

I've got it...
well i dont know whats to explain u hear it you know it, metal is metal and numetal isnt metal if ur a metalhead than u understand what numetal actualy is if you listent to numetal mostly and like metallica an rhcp then u dont undertsand this and cant hear the diference and what most of u didnt mention is that numetal has a certain groove which is not ususal for metal until the early 90
It is only a significant element in catagorising it for (generally) the Folk, Celtic and Viking metal sub-genres. Nile is generally classified as Technical Death Metal, while you could classify Amon Amarth as both Melodic Death and Viking Metal.

Of course a lot of metal bands have ethnic influences, such as Nile and Amon Amarth, but that often isnt a defining feature of their genres (with the possible exception of Black Metal).

I used the wrong wording there. I meant to say is that it often isn't a defining feature of their (the band's) classification into genres, it just depends on if they fit pre existing genres or if other band exist that are stylisticly similar, therefore creating a new genre.
Quote by Spynal

I've got it...