i want to get a stratocaster and i want to get a good one. my question is, if i have the money, and i can find it, what is the best year or years to buy a strat? also should i not buy american made strats? ive heard people say they suck.
1954 was a good vintage.

American Strats are just fine. Get one of those.
americans are freaking good man idk what they were telling you.

ive played a mid 70's strat that was freakin amazing.
find whoever said that and bitchsmack them but yea danno is right 1954 are pretty good
((_))
o(>.<o
~((_))~
o o
This is monkey, he shall beat the crap outta that freakin' bunny. Sig him to kill bunny!
Quote by 1337osaurous
Fuck her.

As in, actually preform sexual intercourse with her.

As in, put your penis in her vagina.

Quote by Danno13
1954 was a good vintage.

American Strats are just fine. Get one of those.

danno, i swear, i recall somewhere hearing that you HATE strats.. ?
get like a clapton signature or an American Deluxe edition. I have an American Standard and I couldn't be any happier.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
get an american one the year doesnt really matter unless you want a vintage strat but go for either a '54 or a 70's but dont go for an eighties i heard theyre terrible.
^^ yeah 80's wasn't a good year for any company. I'd get an American or Clapton signature, but I've never actuall played the Clapton, just heard it was good.
Dickless.
I hear the 39's were good. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Go pre CBS dude.
Guitars:
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Gibson Les Paul Bfg
Acoustics
Ibanez GSR200FM Bass
Amps:
Bugera V55HD w/avatar cab
Fender Champ 600 with 4 ohm cab
70s traynor 200w head with 2 9x8 cabs for bass
japanese fender from the 70's you cannot go wrong
technically all the American strats from the late 70's on to about the 90's are all copies of the japanese models
Any one from a custom shop

fender have a custom shop in Italy, my teacher went there to buy one, a classic with dings added and fender's best woods and pickups

It's just amazing, nice classic V neck but it's while playing a 4000? guitar that you see how important woods are, just amazing
the new american strats are great.....ill take samarium cobalt noiseless pickups anyday over old vintage hum. new school is better than old.vintage just means collectable not better sounding or playable.
Quote by j120strat
vintage just means collectable not better sounding or playable.

are you retarted?
Quote by thatguy147
are you retarted?

tell me whats better about a vintage strat over an american deluxe new strat besides the value of being vintage....dont get me wrong,i wish i had a 57...for my collection not to play every night.
in an original vintage guitar. you have wood a body and a neck which is 50+ years old, its proven the older the wood the better it is, any 50's re-issue you buy today are not even close to the real quality of a vintage 50's that goes for any guitar, with a good wooden body and neck,
when wood ages it gets better, i have a 1960's hollowbody and a 2005 hollowbody, i pick the old one anytime, collector items is not the only reason why a vintage guitar is worth so much.
American and Japanese are probably the best. Most say Americans are better but only because we can't accept the fact that little short people who live on an island about 10 times as small as ours can make a strat as good as us Americans...bull ****.

70's are good, I love that neck.
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
Quote by thatguy147
in an original vintage guitar. you have wood a body and a neck which is 50+ years old, its proven the older the wood the better it is...

OK, Where IS that proven? I'm just wondering.

New American Strats are great guitars. And a great value. I'm totally unconvinced
older = better in any general way.

Super expensive Custom Shop Strats I think are a huge waste of money.
What we're talking about here is a super simple bolt-on, no frills type of guitar.
Plus, when they destroy the finish to make it look old... bleh.
^Agreed. I can understand the "closet classic" finish, since apparently it allows better resoncance (haven't tried one myself though), but "relic" is just dumb.
Quote by Danno13
^Agreed. I can understand the "closet classic" finish, since apparently it allows better resoncance (haven't tried one myself though), but "relic" is just dumb.

Yeah. One of mine basically has the "closet" treatment. It's about the limit of
what I'd accept buying new and I'd have preferred they just left it pristine.
I dunno about resonance. I don't think it makes much of a diff.
we need to start a new thread old vs. new and make a good debate over it. without calling people retarded
If you've got the money to get a Strat from '54 to about '66-7, get one.

But I'm really guessing you don't have that much money.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
The best strats I've played have been have been Japanese Fenders and Squiers (mid eighties). They tend to have to business end of things covered very well, but the cosmetics are sort of meh.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by thatguy147
in an original vintage guitar. you have wood a body and a neck which is 50+ years old, its proven the older the wood the better it is, any 50's re-issue you buy today are not even close to the real quality of a vintage 50's that goes for any guitar, with a good wooden body and neck,
when wood ages it gets better, i have a 1960's hollowbody and a 2005 hollowbody, i pick the old one anytime, collector items is not the only reason why a vintage guitar is worth so much.

I think that is all BS. the wood your 2006 american strat is made of could have been cut from a tree 100 years older than the 54 strat, do therefore acording to your "old wood is better" hypothesis the 2006 one would be better.

Why the hell would wood getting older make it sound better?
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
Quote by E Daws
I think that is all BS. the wood your 2006 american strat is made of could have been cut from a tree 100 years older than the 54 strat, do therefore acording to your "old wood is better" hypothesis the 2006 one would be better.

Why the hell would wood getting older make it sound better?

i think we can all agree the best wood from a tree is at the bottom, the likes of companies like fender uses the younger wood for their guitars and the wood at the bottom they use for custom whatever, (very expensive guitars) when it comes to guitars, anyone who knows anything can all agree if you have a **** body **** neck and the best of electronics, in your guitar, its still going to sound ****, when it comes to fenders, its all down to where they are made, what wood has been used, and what year they were made,

this is a 1964 fender body with pickups the neck is 1980 why do you think so many people are bidding on it ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300002086931&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Fcgiurl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fcgi.ebay.com%252Fws%252F%26fkr%3D1%26from%3DR8%26satitle%3D300002086931%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1
Last edited by thatguy147 at Jun 29, 2006,
Quote by hamish5178
I hear the 39's were good. . .

The 70's strats are great