If you want to go a little over $100, I've got a Digitech Death Metal.
It only has four knobs [Level, low, mid, high] but it's decent for the price.
LTD SC-608 Baritone
Schecter 007-Elite
Epi. Les Paul Standard
Jasmine SC312
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-3
Peavey 6505+

www.behaviourmusic.com
Quote by FrEaKGuItArIsT
If you want to go a little over $100, I've got a Digitech Death Metal.
It only has four knobs [Level, low, mid, high] but it's decent for the price.

Not an overdrive.

And yea, a TS9 would be good, but it depends on what music you want to play really and what kind of overdriven sounds you're looking for.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
A TS9 would be a good amp booster.

You could try a Boss Metal Zone (I have one of those, and I'm selling it; if you're interested, let me know); they run for $100 new...that's a distortion pedal and not an overdrive pedal, though.
Last edited by Vindication at Jun 29, 2006,
well then you aren't looking for an overdrive pedal, unless you're looking to mix the od pedal with your amp..

so DO look at a digitech metal master, and know what the difference between overdrive and distortion is next time
it depends if you have a tube amp then you need a OD pedal but if its a solid state then you need a Distortion pedal
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Syn Harvest
it depends if you have a tube amp then you need a OD pedal but if its a solid state then you need a Distortion pedal

you can use a distortion pedal on a tube amp.....
Quote by Gibson_Left
you can use a distortion pedal on a tube amp.....

Yeh if you want to ruin the tone of a tube amp. Unless it is a distortian pedal with a tube in it, or it is really high end, stick with overdrive.
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
Quote by StratRat13
Yeh if you want to ruin the tone of a tube amp. Unless it is a distortian pedal with a tube in it, or it is really high end, stick with overdrive.

Exactly

an OD pedal overdrives the tubes more so you can get mor gain out of your amp
As odd as this sounds, try a Digitech Bad Monkey.

I know people who hate digitech and call it too digital sounding, and yet love the Bad Monkey. Its a cheap tubescreamer copy, without true bypass. But, being digitech, you can still make it sound really gainy or distortiony even on a.. erm.. solid state.
I would also second the Boss sd-1, it totally kicks ass in front of my jcm 800. You could also get it modded by keeley for an additional $80 down the road, and I am one of the people who DOES notice a big difference in tone.

On a budget, I would recommend the DOD 250 reissue as well. Less-expensive version of the tubescreamer, and it was one of the original od pedals, and would work great for blues/rock tones.
Quote by TimmyPage06
As odd as this sounds, try a Digitech Bad Monkey.

I know people who hate digitech and call it too digital sounding, and yet love the Bad Monkey. Its a cheap tubescreamer copy, without true bypass. But, being digitech, you can still make it sound really gainy or distortiony even on a.. erm.. solid state.

the bad monkey is analog... so it shouldn't sound digital.
I bought an Ibanez TS-9 today (Maxons aint sold here) and its awesome!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Can you use a TS9 too boost your already overdriven sound for solos ?? for use with a JCM 800 ?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Takamine G Series 6&12 string accoustics

Marshall JCM 800 50w 1987 (4 input)
Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
no it will boost your gain to. You can use a equalizer pedal though. If you set all the sliders at 0 in the center and push the volume slider up it wouldnt change your tone just make it louder.you just gotta click it on for solos turn it off for other stuff
would the MXR 10 band EQ do the job ??
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Takamine G Series 6&12 string accoustics

Marshall JCM 800 50w 1987 (4 input)
Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
Quote by lespaulrocks39
I would also second the Boss sd-1, it totally kicks ass in front of my jcm 800. You could also get it modded by keeley for an additional $80 down the road, and I am one of the people who DOES notice a big difference in tone.

Well aren't you clever. There's definately a decent difference in tone, but $80 to replace a couple of capacitors, a couple of resistors and the LED? You could do it yourself for next to nothing, and get to try out different values to get exactly what you want.

The SD-1 is a copy of the TS-9 but clips the peaks and troughs of the signal unequally. This gives it a slighty richer more complex sound. If you compare the prices you see what a rip the Ibanez or Maxon pedals are.
Last edited by smb at Jun 30, 2006,
Quote by smb
Well aren't you clever. There's definately a decent difference in tone, but $80 to replace a couple of capacitors, a couple of resistors and the LED? You could do it yourself for next to nothing, and get to try out different values to get exactly what you want.

The SD-1 is a copy of the TS-9 but clips the peaks and troughs of the signal unequally. This gives it a slighty richer more complex sound. If you compare the prices you see what a rip the Ibanez or Maxon pedals are.

I'm guessing you've never played a Maxon. Considering the wiring is done a lot differently. And I got my Maxon for $89, at that price it rapes the SD-9.
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
*shrugs* the major difference is the quality of the components. If you're prepared to get out the soldering iron and experiment to get it to your liking then it's gonna sound great however. The differences between the SD-1 and Maxon don't justify the huge difference in price.
Quote by Sl4Sh_Jr.
would the MXR 10 band EQ do the job ??

Yes it will and thats actually one of the best pedal EQs there is get the Kerry king model though same desgin and sound it just has a few extra features
Don't get a ts9! seriously... I tried one today through a jcm800 50 watt master lead combo and it sounded like ****... and it's like £109 $200 approx in U.S currency.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.