ya I was thinking about saving up for a marshall jcm800 head and cab, but I think I am gonna get some kind of vox amp now.

the other day I was at guitar center and I was playing on a vox amp, and I loved the sound of it. It had some cool reverb affect or something. it was nice.

what I wanted to know was if the vox amps are cheaper than marshall amps.

which make could I go with to get more for my money?
Say I wanted to spend around 1k, which make would I get a better deal?
I think he is talking about the Vox AC30. It has great Reverb and Tremelo. Its a great amp! Its price is around $999.

Vox is good for clean and a bit of overdrive. Its a great amp! The Marshall JCM800 is another amazing amp. It can get a lot heavier then the AC30 though and is great for classic rock.
^ ya I looked up the ac30 on google, that was the amp I was playing. I love the reverb on it, AHH!!!! it is beautiful. but can the ac30 get as loud as the marshall jcm800?
the vox ac30cc is sweet, im thinking of picking up one myself. The 2 12 combo with the whaferdale speakers are a little under 1000. IMO the whaferdales sound pretty damn good, the celestion blues sound great too, but it drastically changes the presense of the amp, and to me the vox sound itself is already razer sharp.

the 2 12 is pretty damn loud already, plus the construction of the 2 12 gives it that airy feel that vox combos are known for. The head + 4 12 cab (if you want to go halfstack) will cost you not too much more, the cab is fairly cheap, but sounds great. Overall even the vox halfstack will cost you as much as a marshall jcm800 head (which is about 1400 or so)

throw an overdrive in front of the top boost of the vox, and you get some killer distorted tones that i would prefer over the jcm800.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Yup the AC30 is a classic amp, many people have used them like Clapton, Page and Green to name but a few, they're gorgeous but no way will u get it as pumped up as the JCM800 (lol thats why the named artists never used the AC30 live :p). But seriously if ur not gigging or u already have a fairly decent gig amp and are more of a bedroom guitar god (lol) then the AC30 would be a good investment. And even if u get a JCM800 you could ater buy one of the VOX modelling series which are awesome...
Quote by Scrate
Yup the AC30 is a classic amp, many people have used them like Clapton, Page and Green to name but a few, they're gorgeous but no way will u get it as pumped up as the JCM800 (lol thats why the named artists never used the AC30 live :p). But seriously if ur not gigging or u already have a fairly decent gig amp and are more of a bedroom guitar god (lol) then the AC30 would be a good investment. And even if u get a JCM800 you could ater buy one of the VOX modelling series which are awesome...

i dont know, theres been a lot of post/hardcore bands and new wave bands that have been using the vox for higher gain stuff on the road. The new ac30cc comes with options to blend channels so that the gain is kicked up a notch, which wasnt present in the original ac30s. Also, by adding an overdrive, you can get some really high gain tones. Not to mention the vox gives some of the best playing sensitivity which IMO gets lost in high gain amps.

VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
the 2 12 is actually sufficient, 30watts tube is quite a bit of power, plus with a vox, you have to max out the volumes to get some killer crunch. The only issue i find with combos is that the projection is off if they are just on the floor, you miss most of your tone cuase the sound is pushed on the floor, by your feet. So with a combo, you might want to get a road case that you can keep the combo in, and stack the combo on top of when you play. Once you stack it up a little higher, you can hear yourself a bit more clearly.

The half stack is great because it sits on a 4 12 cab, the projectino is better all around. THe only thing, and i dont know for myself, but ive heard from some vox addicts is that the combo has a more classic sound because of its construction. The head/cab lacks the roomy sound that a combo has. So ive been suggested by those vox addicts to buy a 2 12 combo, and then a 2 12 extension cabinet. It ends up being the same price as the head/cab, and it gives the same projection but it gets the roomy feel from the set of speakers in the combo, the extension cab is just for added projection and leverage.

VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
The AC30 is really really nice. im getting one too (2x12)

The JCM has more crunch though and is good for heavier stuff (the AC30 is best when its just breaking up)

The Marshall has better crunch (both are great amps)
The Vox has more of a brit overdrive

If you need heavier then go with the Marshall
If you need light overdrive and cleans go Vox
Last edited by JET116 at Jun 29, 2006,