I don't use it cause it seems to thick (the tone) and i feel like it doesn't have enough sustain. Well, thats maybe cause my guitar has a single coil on the neck.
Alot of blues and Jazz guitarists use the neck pup for those exact reasons, well except the sustain part. Fender strats and tele's have wonderful sustain and SD antiquity pups are smokin in the neck position.
Last edited by demea at Jun 29, 2006,
I use the neck picup almost always for soloing...i also have a humbucker in the neck but the neck pickup gives a real smooth tone and i get great sustain when using it...thast also with plenty of distortion...but if you ever listen to a Slash guitar solo theres a perfect example of using the neck pickup in a solo...check out the intro/verse riff for a song called Estranged...
Quote by Blackdiamond045
I use the neck picup almost always for soloing...i also have a humbucker in the neck but the neck pickup gives a real smooth tone and i get great sustain when using it...thast also with plenty of distortion...but if you ever listen to a Slash guitar solo theres a perfect example of using the neck pickup in a solo...check out the intro/verse riff for a song called Estranged...

Good example...I should of said that. Thats a great song.
I actually use the neck pickup for most of my soloing. It just sounds a lot smoother and nicer to me. It's even nice for shred/metal solo tones, as well as the jazz and blues tones.
depends on the solo, alot of melodic stuff sounds good but i prefer my bridge pup for soloing anyhting heavy, mainly because you get lost in the mix unless your overly loud, you need to be able to cut through
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Last edited by SGKIDD at Jun 29, 2006,
Yeah i would say get a humbucker in the neck...crank the distortion atleast to half way...put it on the neck pickup and turn up rhe volume nice and loud and just wail man...idk about some other people but it seems liek i can just hold a note forever when i do that...also gives out a beautiful sound...
On a Strat or HSS guitar, the mid-neck position, Position Four, sounds a lot better than just the neck for soloing.

On an HH guitar, the neck alone is great for solos.
i dunno, cuz i have a humbucker on my neck and it still just sounds foggy. i actually cant think of any times when i want to use it except when i have distortion on and i wanna play cleaner chords without havin to move the nobs down. actually, could anyone suggest when a good time to use the neck pu would be?
Different strokes for different folks.

As your guitar playing time increases, you'll understand.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
i use the neck for solos...but i also use the bridge too...about 50/50
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
I use the neck for solos 70% of the time probably. It just sounds more fluid. But some lead HAS to be played on the bridge (Zeppelin, AC/DC)